Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Internally Routed Gear Cables
  • athy62
    Free Member

Why?

Just spent over 2 hours replacing inners & outers on the GF’s Spesh Rumor. Had to take the back end apart to get it through in the end. Why can’t manufacturers just give us the choice by fitting tabs as well?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I agree, more hassle than it’s worth and all for aesthetic purposes. There are a good number of hacks out there though. The best to me seems to be to get some thin plastic tubing, slide it over the inner cable and through the frame, then pull the cable out leaving the plastic tubing threaded through the frame. I’m going to have to do this soon to my new road bike to shorten and neaten up the cables as there seems to be an abundance of cable flapping around.

ransos
    Free Member

The best to me seems to be to get some thin plastic tubing, slide it over the inner cable and through the frame, then pull the cable out leaving the plastic tubing threaded through the frame.

That works brilliantly if there’s already a cable in there. If you’re building a new frame, not so much. On my road bike, I ended up using a strong magnet to chase the cable through the frame, and made a hook out of a zip tie to pull it out of the hole.

jonnyboi

That works brilliantly if there’s already a cable in there. If you’re building a new frame, not so much. On my road bike, I ended up using a strong magnet to chase the cable through the frame, and made a hook out of a zip tie to pull it out of the hole.

yep, built up a cube carbon hard tail and it came with the tubing already fitted. would have been a right PITA otherwise

Northwind

Pretty simple on my remedy- it’s mostly about execution rather than concept, it’s no real bother if it’s done right. The 224 was a pain in the chops.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Spesh Normaly fit the plastic guide tube into there frames to make building easy , that and the park cable
    Route tool or any nice strong magnet make it a mostly simple
    Job. But it does add to the time it takes

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Internally Routed Gear Cables’ is closed to new replies.