Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Internally routed brake hose frame slapping death noise angst
  • 2tyred

Not the title of a new Fall album, but a plea for bright ideas.

New carbon XC frame, nice neat internal routing of the rear brake hose, but it doesn’t half make a load of alarming noise when things get fast and bumpy. I figure I need to somehow make the hose taught while it’s inside the frame, but can’t figure out how using the limited array of rubber grommets and shims I can find in the garage.

Hose entry near the junction of down and head tubes, accessible again under the BB shell by removing a cover plate, then it emerges on the rear chainstay just before the caliper mount.

Does anyone have a nice neat solution?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Fill it with squirty foam?

molgrips
    Free Member

I was going to post that!

I had to drill out the brake boss in my road bike carbon frame, and predictably I lost the end bit with part stuck bolt inside the frame, where it rattled and could not possibly be removed. I happened to have a part used can of foam available from something else so I used it. Worked perfectly!

Not sure it’s ideal in this situation mind, since it would make it rather hard to replace the brake. I had a similar issue with a gear cable and I ended up wrapping the middle of the cable run with foam then tape, to dampen the noise. That also worked – but the holes were big enough to get the foam in there as well as the cable.

scud
    Free Member

Tiny bit of clear silicon bathroom sealant around entrance and exit holes worked for me on my Spec. Roubaix which did the same

SirHC

Wrap the hose in one of the followingL:
    Air conditioning hose foam
    catapult tubing
    self adhesive velcro
    foam tape

Have done quite a few bikes with the velcro method, no cable noise.

submarined
    Free Member

Wait, people actually do the foam thing? I thought that was a long running joke?! How do you propose changing hoses/cables?!

Get some good stiff zip ties, do them up at intervals on the cable/house, and don’t cut the tail. Feed them in to the frame with the hose, give it a few rotations to pull the tails inline like a clock spring, and you’re done 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Internally routed brake hose frame slapping death noise angst’ is closed to new replies.