Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Internal door – toughened glass .. safe with kids ?
  • brack
    Free Member

[*]We’ve had a new internal door fitted in our house..it’s not exactly the one we planned on getting, but for whatever reason – it’s fitted and looks lovely.

But

As with all most things in a house build – you ponder its inclusio/ safety once the dust has settled on the project.

It’s s Howdens – Hardwood Worcester door with ‘toughened glass’ BS EN 12600 or BS EN 12150.

With two kids under the age of 4 – are we being paranoid about the large glass panel or is the toughness and certification enough to reassure us ?

Can’t seem to add a link ??

Howdens Worcester

bails

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my-vY6Ux6lE[/video]
    I’m sure it’ll be fine.

tjagain

toughened glass should shatter into tiny cubes if broken like old skool car windscreens so shouldn’t injure anyone if they go thru it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sb
    Free Member

I had the same concerns and bought some of this stuff. Use a plant mister to throughly wet the glass then stick your pre cut section on. Squeegy out the water and bubbles for a pretty much invisible job.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F171645775395

Squirrel

You can get a film applied professionally if you’re worried, clear or frosted. Done well you won’t see it.

brack
    Free Member

Cheers! Def going to sort that..

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

1. They’ll really have to be going some to break it

2. If they do break it, you won’t get big shards, just little cubes.

It’ll be ‘reet….

You wouldn’t worry about your exterior glazing, would you? And that’s not even toughened…

timba
    Free Member

I guess that your kids will be at school soon, here’s Building Regs Approved Document K (ADK) link. Requirement K4 (p30-p32) includes schools. Older schools tend to go for film, but light degrades it
    EDIT: It’s not just doors, low-level windows would also be included

matt_outandabout

I’d be moere worried about all the new paint and glue fumes your kids are now inhaling, rather than a highly unlikely glass incident with a glass that’s designed to be as safe as possible….

sb
    Free Member

Having been in a car accident years ago where the car had a toughened screen the glass did indeed break into millions of tiny cubes, I still had a to go to hospital to have loads of miniscule shards removed from my eyes!
    Granted such a possibility is unlikely in your situation but there’s absolutely no harm if you want extra peace of mind with the film ……

retro83
    Free Member

My mum and dad have the exact same doors and they have been repeatedly and systematically tested for weaknesses by my nephew. He’s only 2 but very very big for his age (think of a 2 year old Eddie Hall and you’re not far off), and a complete loon.

I saw him running full pelt at it while pushing a fairly heavy wooden toy pram and the corner of it hit directly onto the pane of glass. Not so much as a scratch to it.

dooosuk
    Free Member

My two (4yers & 2yrs) both repeatedly slam our doors with glass inserts (doubt its toughened). They’re holding firm at present and no matter how many times we tell them, they won’t stop doing it!

andybrad

got full length glass doors and banister here.

also got a 2 year old

a little but not overly concerned.

nealglover
    Free Member

We have glass glass bannister things up 3 flights of stairs, and a 6m long glass balcony/balustrade in the living room.
    Biggest worry are the million tiny fingerprints that appear 5 minutes after cleaning it all.

Not concerned at all that our mad 2 year old could ever break and of it.

aP
    Free Member

Be careful about putting film on the glazed panel, if the door reveal isn;t intended to take the load then you could have a shattered but still whole glazed panel fall on you.

Building Regs part K states (its Section 5 P31 onwards) that glazing will meet the requirements with the following:
    if it breaks, will break safely,
    is robust + in small panes,
    or is permanently protected.
    The requirement for safe breakage will be met if it complies with one of the following:
    a small clear opening only, with detached particles no larger than the specified maximum size,
    disintegration with small detached particles,
    broken glazing in separate pieces that are not sharp or pointed

Glazing material would be suitable for a critical location if it complies with one of the following:
    satisfies the requirements of Class 3 of BS EN 12600 or Class C of BS 6206
    is installed in a door or in a door side panel and has a pane width exceeding 900mm and it satisfies the requirements of Class 2 of BS EN 12600 or Class B of BS 6206.

It sounds like it does.

project
    Free Member

All glazing is required to be safety glass in safety critical locations, eg doors and at sides of doors, and should be marked as such.

As we fit lots of doors had to smash a few toughened glass panels, they shatter sometimes when hit hard with a hammer or sharp object, but stay in place in the frame unless you knock out the glass, ive recomended safety film over the glass to customers to keep the glass in place if shattered/broken, Amazon sell it.

Once smashed the door is useless as the beads are fixed in place or machined out of the solid particle board base.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Have you got a shower screen or cubicle at home? Same stuff, probably a lot higher chance of smashing in to that due to slips. Ever broke one? Don’t worry about the door, it’ll be fine.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Internal door – toughened glass .. safe with kids ?’ is closed to new replies.