Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Internal Cabling
  • monksie
    Free Member

Can I just pull the inner out and thread a new inner through the outer cable and frame? I’ll unwrap the bar tape if I have to but I really don’t want to get involved in replacing the outer through the frame.
    The rear brake stayed on this morning on my ‘cross bike and it would appear that the inner cable is snagged on something.

kimbers

Depends on the frame, my Kona has internal guides that the inner runs through, it makes it all very easy

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

When I replace internally routed cables I just tape the new outer to the old one and pull / push the new cable through the frame then untape once the new cable is in place.

monksie
    Free Member

It’s a Giant TCX SLR 2015.
    I’m not going near replacing outer cabling. I’ll let a bike shop have fun with that. I was hoping the inner would be straight forward if the original outer stays in place. It’s only a couple of months (200 miles) old.

MadPierre

One of these makes replacing an outer a doddle http://www.tweekscycles.com/components/seatpost-spares/rockshox-reverb-stealth-barb-connector

You get one free with a Reverb but they work with brake hoses and gear outers too

lunge

I use spring for inners. Tape the string to the end of the in inner cable, pull through, then untape. Then tape the end of the new cable to the string and pull it back the other way. Works a treat.

monksie
    Free Member

Thanks for the tip Lunge. I’ll give it a go tonight.

wors

It’s a Giant TCX SLR 2015.
    I’m not going near replacing outer cabling. I’ll let a bike shop have fun with that. I was hoping the inner would be straight forward if the original outer stays in place. It’s only a couple of months (200 miles) old.

I have the same bike and (had) the same problem, yes you can just thread a new inner through BUT you will need to replace the outer too. I was expecting to be throwing the bike through the window, but it turned out to be the easiest job! My advice, pull the older outer out of the frame leaving the old inner in place as a guide, thread a new outer (you’ll have to remove the rubber grommets in the frame) I didn’t bother replacing the bit of cable under the handlebar tape, my bike has the jagwire adjusters so only replaced the outer up to there. Remove old inner, and put new inner in. Hey presto, one functioning back brake again!

Hope that makes sense!

monksie
    Free Member

Perfect sense Wors. Thank you.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Internal Cabling’ is closed to new replies.