Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Internal cable threading…
  • Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

always had the bike shop do this, but me and my mate are overhauling the bike so will be trying to thread though a rear mech cable…

any tips…i do recall the bike shop peeing and moaning the first-time they had to do it….so….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Pull something through when you pull the old one out.

wwaswas

Firstly, don’t take the old one out – cut the gland off the end and use it to pull the new one through.

scc999

I’ve read that some cotton thread can be sucked through the frame by a vacuum cleaner – I suspect that will depend on how far between ports you need to run it…

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

cool, thanks for the tips…i don’t think i pulled the old one out yet…. 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

on my rocky it’s not a continuous run also and it’s actually quite easy as it has a larger port for exit to feed one through, turning the bike round a bit in a stand helps too

iainc

easy way if you have the outer still in is to attach new outer to it, inline, with gaffa tape, wrapping thinly about 2 inches onto old and new. if outers are grease free on the outside you get a fair bit of pull without risking the taped join pulling apart. If you can leave an inner in incase it all goes wrong even better 🙂

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

My Canyon came with a couple of lengths of thin plastic tubing. It’s similar to the tubing you get with something like Jagwire fully sealed cables.

All you do is disconnect the cable from one end (usually the mech) and remove the outer and ferrule where it enters the frame. Then push the tubing over the cable itself and into the frame void as far as you can. Loosen the other end and ferrule, then continue to carefully push the tube / pull the cable until the tube comes out of the other end. Make sure that the tube is exposed both ends of the frame.

Then hold the tube still whilst pulling the cable out. To replace, put cable through shifter, then through tube through the frame. Once cable is out the other side, pull the tube out.

Easy, quick, no faffing

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Internal cable threading…’ is closed to new replies.