Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Internal cable routing
  • honourablegeorge

Thinking of a new frame (Carbon Covert) which has internal cable routing, which I’ve never encountered before?

I’d be transferring all my existing bits, and doing the build myself – what’s the deal with internal cables? Is there an internal sleeve, so it’s just a matter of pushing a cable outer/hose through the hole? Or is it a long, fiddle process involving bent clothes hangers and the like?

bluebird
    Free Member

Not sure about the Covert, but my experience is it’s a bit of a fiddle. If there’s already a cable outer in there you can tape the end of the new one to the old one and pull it through, other wise it can be a test of patience.

That said, how often so you change your outers? And it does give a bike a very clean look.

Also worth remembering the cables can rattle inside the frame.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

My FTM has sleeves and doesn’t rattle

bencooper
    Free Member

If there’s already something in, then swapping new cables is easy – inners obviously you just thread through, outers you pull out but leave the inner in, and thread the new outer over the old inner, then replace the old inner.

If there’s nothing in, it gets more fun – but if it’s carbon you can use the magnet-on-a-bit-of-thread trick.

honourablegeorge

bencooper – Member

if it’s carbon you can use the magnet-on-a-bit-of-thread trick.

Exactly the sort of faff I was wondering about….. guaranteed I’d end up with a magnet rattling around inside my frame.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Exactly the sort of faff I was wondering about….. guaranteed I’d end up with a magnet rattling around inside my frame

Take the forks off and it’ll drop out.

Internal cable routing isn’t too bad, shouldn’t put you off a frame. most will come with a bit of plastic in to help guide the cable through.

They would only rattle as much as one on the outside

njee20
    Free Member

They’re better than they used to be too, most have removable covers so it’s quite a big hole you’re aiming for when you stick a new inner through. Probably wouldn’t choose it, but it does look better, keeps your paint nicer too, you don’t get cable scratches.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

My experience of it (Mondraker Summum) was nothing but a massive ballache.

No sleeves = lots of swearing.

Best way was cotton thread tied round the cable & hoover it out the other end, then gently pull the cable though. Swear at the frame designer for the exit hole angle being useless. Repeat.

They also rattled like hell inside. Ended up stuffing a load of fish tank foam in to try & quieten it down.

Looks nicer, but a PITA.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

If there is no inner I find a rare earth magnet helps guide the outer through with minium fuss. Can be a fiddle though.

Warrenpfo
    Free Member

Cotton wool on the end of cotton tread and the Hoover normally does the trick to get a pull line through.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Internal cable routing’ is closed to new replies.