Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Interior timber treatment yawn zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • rocketman
    Free Member

We have some softwood interior doors, a banister and what can only be described as some decorative timber panels inside the house. They’re all the same colour (stained not painted) but there are a few knocks and dings and mrs rocket wants them ‘tidying up’

DIY is like kryptonite to me what would be the easiest way to ‘tidy them up’

IS there some kind of woodstain I can apply on top of the existing stain without having to sand it all down to the bare wood

Any advice is very welcome

globalti
    Free Member

Burn the house down and claim off the insurance?

Go on DIYnot.com and ask on the painting & decorating forum?

Do a test patch somewhere out of sight with another even darker stain or some white paint and see what happens?

johndoh
    Free Member

I would say that it will depend on what stain is on there already (ie, solvent based, oil based, water based…) I don’t suppose you know do you?

teef
    Free Member

Teak oil – give it a clean & light rub down then apply Wilkos teak oil with cloth. Cheap & you’ll do it in no time – £5/litre:

http://www.wilko.com/wood-stain+varnish/wilko-teak-oil-bottle-1l/invt/0210404

goldfish24

As per teef, a nice oiling will tidy it up. Won’t change the colour much but will bring it to a subtle clean shine. Dead easy too. My personal preference would be Danish oil. Don’t ask me why, I don’t know the difference but I’ve always liked the finish from Danish oil.
    A single coat is ok, some recommend multiple coats 24hrs apart, my fave method is 2 or 3 coats applied liberally 15 minutes apart so it’s still wetish but you get a good coating on. I use it all on my wood pieces.

rocketman
    Free Member

Teak oil it is. Many thanks

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Interior timber treatment yawn zzzzzzzzzzzzzz’ is closed to new replies.