Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • interior doors
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

Fed up of the bodged fitted hollow moulded doors that the previous owner fitted that feel as solid as cardboard.

anywhere special to get replacements?

want half glazed 4 / 6 panel oak veneer(most likely … as no one will know they aint all oak except me ;)) doors and the same style with no glass for the bathroom and bedrooms.

Seen stuff we like in BnQ (have a tradepoint account so they are reasonable priced) but like most of BnQ stuff i feel we could probably get a better quality else where.

Howdens want an arm and a leg for anything similar – even with hagling and discounts

Based in aberdeenshire if anyone has any ideas – Seen a fair few on gumtree that i really like but i have oddly short fat doors so need to buy new to avoid that “obviously made for a bigger door” effect you usually see with reclaimed doors.

bruneep

Buy cheap pay dear.

Bought “cheap doors” a few years ago now looking at replacing them as they haven’t lasted

pocketrocket
    Free Member

I fit quite a lot of doors made by these.

http://www.jeld-wen.co.uk/

Decent quality and a wide range, not the cheapest though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    project
    Free Member

Have fitted the so called oak veneer chipboard cored crap from the sheds, the veneer will peel off, and the edging is so thin there is little to plane off, posibly 4 or 6 mm, and you need quite a bit more to leave that amount on the finished door.

oh and once worked on the warranty is useless.

Finnly theyre very heavy so 3 x 3 inch hinges, and descent screws, pre drilled holes, and dont forget to check the frames are strong enough to take the weight.

Stoner
    Free Member

One of your local builder’s merchants shoul dbe able to get XL joinery factory doors for you.

Excellent quality for a veneer. Nice weight and easy to work with.

Have come up a treat in the barn.

http://www.xljoinery.co.uk/

trail_rat
    Free Member

project frames are strong …. they are going into solid block work but you pretty much confirmed what i thought with your analysis

Stoner – they look like a good half way house – coming in right in the middle price wise of howdens and bn6 for what i want. how ever need to be careful on that website – many of their doors although smart give off that “public building” vibe …. be it a modern GP practice or an office building.

creamegg
    Free Member

JB Kind doors

possibly out of your price range though

RustyMac

Was just looking at this the other day for a house we are thinking of buying. Wickes seems to have quite a good selection however i don’t know how the price stacks up to else where.

Something like their Cobham range of doors sound like what you are after.

bigsurfer
    Free Member

We have put oak veneer doors in from homebase they were on a 10 for the price of 7 when we got them and after 3 years with little children they still look exactly the same.

If they are not identical to these they are very similar seem to remember us paying £65 when they were on special offer

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10151&catalogId=1500001201&langId=110&searchTerms=564295&authToken=

They are bloomin heavy though, nearly broke the joiner who had to lug them up and down stairs to remove small amounts of material to get them to fit.

I think doors are like a lot of things that the money should be spent on the contanct points so an expensive door handle and lock + hinges to support the door correctly make a huge difference to the way it feels.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Wickes doors are not too bad for the money.

Remember to put whatever finish you’re using on the bottom before you finally hang them. And give them a chance to lie flat in the house (packaging opened) for a week or so before fitting.

Oh and:

I think doors are like a lot of things that the money should be spent on the contanct points so an expensive door handle and lock + hinges to support the door correctly make a huge difference to the way it feels.

+1 (and use posidrives during fitting but for final hang, use nice countersunk slotted screws…lined up.)

juanking

GPH in Inverurie (not sure about Westhill) stock quite a few including XL joinery doors as mentioned by Stoner.

globalti
    Free Member

I’ve cut and fitted 11 cerejeira doors in our house (got two more to do – groan!) for which I paid a local door supplier £97.00 each plus VAT. They are cerejeira wood veneer, which looks like oak. They look nice with brushed satin door furniture and three coats of Dulux Trade satin varnish, which gives them a dull sheen like wax. They have four panels and glass panels:

http://www.doordepot.co.uk/store/internal-wooden-doors/cerejeira-modern-internal-doors

Here: (and before you point it out, the door does miss the towel rail, it’s just foreshortened in this pic. And yes, I know you’re not supposed to put the handle on a rail but it looks better that way.)

project
    Free Member

And yes, I know you’re not supposed to put the handle on a rail but it looks better that way.)

But only if there is an actual joint under there, on those doors its most probably a chipboard core covered in a veneer and no joints required, thats what makes them so cheap as opposed to solid doors with rails and joints, and solid timber all the way through.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘interior doors’ is closed to new replies.