Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Interior design / house type websites and shops
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Hi all, we have recently got the go ahead to build a house. It will be the first time I have owned a place and not rented, so now it seems like i need to GAS about furniture and coat hooks and all that jazz. I most certainly will not be subscribing to Vogue Interiors Magazine but would like a little inspiration.

What good websites and shops are there online? Halfords and What Mancave? aside….

NB. Yes a wood burning stove is included

Rockape63
    Free Member

There are two that I am aware of that will give you all the ideas and inspiration you’ll ever need. Houzz and Pintrest. Both will provide more photos of whatever you search for that you’ll know what to do with.

With Houzz you can create your own ‘Ideabook’ and save any photos you like into it for ongoing referral. Some amazing houses and individual rooms in them which will make you feel a bit inferior though!

stevextc
    Free Member

The problem with Houzz etc. is they are not really for your average house owner… 90% of the stuff seems to be aimed at people who spend 100k on a bathroom…. there are some occasional cheaper examples but it seems more of a platform for high end architects and interior designers to show their last multi-million project…

PinInterst seems to have a lot of form over function…. (not all of it but enough my OH gets purely impractical ideas)

“Yep sure that playroom looks great with no toys … and they of course all fit in the small boxes in the photo’s” … in real life however .. obviously they don’t

Three_Fish
    Free Member

PinInterst seems to have a lot of form over function…. (not all of it but enough my OH gets purely impractical ideas)

Pinterest is all function over form if that’s what you look for. As a designer and maker, Pinterest is an absolute trove of ideas and information. It’s sometimes better to search Pinterest than it is to do a standard web search.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

righto will try pinterest

stevextc
    Free Member

Pinterest is all function over form if that’s what you look for. As a designer and maker, Pinterest is an absolute trove of ideas and information. It’s sometimes better to search Pinterest than it is to do a standard web search.

Quite possibly, i’m just the engineer that then has to create some reality from some great idea the OH finds…or she threatens to employ someone who can do it….

Typically for example that means buying a new set of saucers to use as plates when the brilliant plate storage is too small for standard sized dinner plates and it turns out that bowls are deeper than plates.(despite me pointing this out before).. etc.

The new sink on the island was a close call … apparently I’m “not technically minded” so I thought I’d have to pull up the tiles and underfloor heating to install a sink on the island.(which I’d just fitted 6 months before).. (and lets not mention the underfloor heating eh)

When I pointed out it needed WATER in and OUT I was told that’s because a “proper man” would be able to do this without pulling up the tiles and underfloor heating….

So excuse me if I feel it is the Devils work…. 😈

Rockape63
    Free Member

Quite possibly, i’m just the engineer that then has to create some reality from some great idea the OH finds…or she threatens to employ someone who can do it…

she sounds delightful! 😕

Actually my Missus has done similar in the past, threatening to phone someone to fix something that I can comfortably do, but haven’t quite got around to!

wallop

The problem with Houzz etc. is they are not really for your average house owner… 90% of the stuff seems to be aimed at people who spend 100k on a bathroom….

On the other hand… that’s not my experience. Plenty of examples of domestic projects in my neighbourhood on Houzz. It’s about inspiration, not necessarily aspiration.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

revolution not evolution

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Interior design / house type websites and shops’ is closed to new replies.