Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Interesting, unusual, unknown, secret, impressive… places to visit in London
  • mcboo
    Free Member

Kettners for cocktails. Oscar Wilde’s favourite spot.

Cheshire Cheese for real olde worlde.

The perfectly preserved 3 or 4 streets of Hugenout terraces that still survive in Spitalfields, despite the best efforts of the Luftwaffe.

The tiny Georgean square tucked into Berry Brothers wine merchants on St James.

Berry Brothers cellars

Picnic on Primrose Hill at dusk. Hundreds of people enjoying the best spot in London, yet it feels like a secret.

The Blue Bar at the Berkeley Hotel.

The rooftop pool at the Berkeley on a warm day when they open the roof.

freeagent
    Free Member

As others have said – Chelsea Physic Garden is nice, and a bit different.

Chislehurst caves are unique and not far out of town on the train.

I like Camden Market, but its not to everyones taste – however i’d suggest giving it a go, to make your own mind up. (you should be able to pick up some clobber for your night out at the torture garden!)

Some of London’s parks are nice, Greenwich is good.

mefty
    Free Member

The Blue Bar at the Berkeley

Not for me, the American in the Savoy, the one in the Connaught, maybe the Dukes in St James, but not the Blue Bar, even the one in Claridges is better.

globalti
    Free Member

When I lived in London I used to go and relax in the secret garden near St John’s Lodge in Regent’s park.

Here: http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/the-garden-of-st-johns-lodge-london

chood7
    Free Member

Take her bowling at the Bloomsbury Lanes, a groovy retro 50’s bowling alley that time forgot.
    Also take her for dinner at Gordon Ramseys resturant at Bread Street, afterwards go for a drink in the bar upstairs at Bread St…both are stunning with views of St Pauls.
    Or go for a walk around Richmond Park and stand on King Henrys mound and look through the viewing point to see London, then go for a drink at the Roebuck, take your beer across the road, sit outside and look across the river… the best view in London.

loum
    Free Member

Get on a train to Dorking and take two bikes.

MrBlond
    Free Member

Re. “Bloomsbury Lanes, a groovy retro 50’s bowling alley that time forgot”, it opened in 2005….

Not a bad spot though 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

A few more from me….

Cask, Pimlico. Beer nirvana. (Thanks for the hangover this morning, guys. Really, thanks…!)

The cemeteries. Brompton, Barnes, etc. OK, so they’re popular with a certain male demographic, but as long as you avoid that, they’re fantastically creepy and intereting places. Brompton is marvellous, such crazy Victoriana.

The Regency Café. Also in Pimlico. Classic greasy spoon.

And, my fave thing to do in any city. Go to the tube. Buy a ticket. Go four stops in either direction. Get out, turn left. See where it takes you! (Did this in Moscow recently, amazing!

MrBlond
    Free Member

The Regency Café as featured in that unpleasant scene in ‘Layer Cake’, nice for a cup of tea 😉

maccruiskeen

I reckon one of the best views of the city is from the tea hut in the middle of blackheath,

midlifecrashes

And, my fave thing to do in any city. Go to the tube. Buy a ticket. Go four stops in either direction.

Try that in St Asaph!

Apologies for the drift OT.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

great job guys, this is a huge list! what i was hoping for

TiRed

Hunterian museum? Museum of the Royal College of Surgeons. Closed Mondays and Sundays.

Cabinet War Rooms is also worth a visit. Ask her to dress in a 1940’s dress before leaving?

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Interesting, unusual, unknown, secret, impressive… places to visit in London’ is closed to new replies.