Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Interesting reading – our changing country
  • tyger
    Free Member
    barkm
    Free Member

It’s heartening to see religion on the decline. Although I think the number of non-religious is obviously much much higher, but we’re starting to see people take the question more seriously. I think many are too apathetic to even care so put the ‘default’ of CofE or similar, etc.
    I know I did for years.
    With any luck religion will be reduced to a niche hobby within my lifetime.

mrjmt
    Free Member

I have no useful contribution to make. 8)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kimbers

Id like to think the decline of religion was due to a general increase in scientific awareness, however im worried that actually more people choose to worship at the shrine of xfactor on a saturday night than can be arsed to go church on a sunday morning

the history of humanity is a story of migration and gene flow, long may it continue!

Cougar

So if those trends continue,

The predominant faith in the UK is going to Islam inside this millennia?

tyger
    Free Member

Cougar – and all the implications

binners

innit?

kimbers

Did you know that disco record sales were up 400% for the year ending 1976? If these trends continue… AAY!

tyger
    Free Member

Sleepwalking maybe? 🙂

Cougar

Not worried at all. Just thought it was curious.

wrecker
    Free Member

I’d like to be a bit browner. Not too brown, but I am well practiced in the use of AK47s. And explosives.
    Who is this “Ally” chap anyway?

tyger
    Free Member

Nope 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

Pretty sure we will all be Elvis impersonators on 29 ers before this happens according to trends

joao3v16
    Free Member

13% of usual residents were born outside the UK.

Excellent, my wife’s finally received some recognition!

tyger
    Free Member

I wonder what the figures will be like in the next 10 years?

GrahamS

I’d like to be a bit browner.

Me too. But then I’m Scottish descent so I need a tan just to get white.

patriotpro
    Free Member

kimbers – Member
    cougar and tyger are you worried you are slowly turning brown?

Kimbers – Are you making the sweeping presumption that all muslims are ‘brown’…

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I’m olive skinned. What colour am I going to turn?

joao3v16
    Free Member

I’m olive skinned. What colour am I going to turn?

Black olive or green olive?

Or do you mean you have very oily skin?

Do olives even have skin? I’ve never seen one peeled …

tyger
    Free Member

A lot of Polish have settled here – nice people on the whole

cynic-al
    Free Member

tyger – Member
    Cougar – and all the implications

such as?

bencooper
    Free Member

A lot of Polish have settled here – nice people on the whole

Around here they’re very snooty, and have odd ideas about food and personal hygiene.

I think they might be French Polish.

maccruiskeen

It’s heartening to see religion on the decline

I think theres a change in how people state their faith or lack of faith. Its becoming more popular to declare yourself atheist whereas previously people might state themselves to be christian /catholic / C of E as a description of their background rather than as a declaration of faith. Taking northern ireland as an example – nearly 50% or the population declare themselves protestant and nearly 50% declare themselves catholic but less than half the population actually go to church, so that declaration is about something other than adherence to faith.

Similarly someone from a minority faith background is likely to identify themselves by that distinction regardless of when they practice that faith

Arguably even as atheists most of us still live within a cultural, legal and moral framework that is broadly christian in its origins and traditions.

IanW
    Free Member

“I sometimes see people at night who are drunk and wearing hardly any clothes. There are a lot of drugs.” Norwich comes out well.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

so we are more ‘multi-cultural’ and less ‘religious ‘ — win win 8)

CountZero

13% of usual residents were born outside the UK.

Mostly central and Eastern Europe. The parts that aren’t Muslim former Soviet bloc states.

Junkyard
    Free Member

“I sometimes see people at night who are drunk and wearing hardly any clothes. There are a lot of drugs.” Norwich comes out well.

Highest percent of atheists as well so what would you expect 😉

druidh
    Free Member

You don’t see so much of the Kiwi Polish around these days.

loddrik
    Free Member

I have no useful contribution to make.

Proper lol. 😆

Northwind

Just to add on the religion question, that the result is partly due to the very leading question “What is your religion” A parallel survey was run without the presumption of religiosity and found substantially different figures

(the same survey also memorably found that only 48% of respondants who identified themselves as Christian believe in a god.)

Cougar – Member

It’s not even certain that the predominant species in the UK will be human tbh. But, in the spirit of the thread,

tyger
    Free Member

Is there a higher expected birth rate with different nationalities?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

mrs DD and I had dd in Lincoln County Hospital at the weekend.The 4-bed shared ward in which mrs DD and dd spent their first night was 25% Oirish/English and 75% Eastern European.

It was a Daily Mail Reader’s wet dream.

(I was the only partner in at 0900 the next morning. I mean…wtf were the rest of them doing? Working or something?)

Mugboo

Well, Bradford city centre sure doesn’t look like it did 20 years ago so somethings changing fast. I blame the charity shops 🙂

On the subject of birth rates, etc, I read a while back that in Israel the birth rate for Muslims was way higher than for Jews. IF, that’s true then that’s going to be a difficult one to solve if they are democratic.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I think the Northern Irish Catholics were out sprogging the left leggers at one stage too but have since started using contraception. Maybe by the time the Free State’s economy recovers and they get a referendum, they’ll be able to return the six counties to where they belong? Doubt it though.

konabunny
    Free Member

You always get high birth rates where there is poverty. When people become richer, and women get better educated and enter the labour force, then birth rates go down. Demographic transition. The disparity in Prod/Catholic and Israeli/Palestinian birth rates mostly reflects the disparity in economic opportunity.

Be a surprise if the UK, Islam and humans for that matter actually last another 988 years.

maccruiskeen

the same survey also memorably found that only 48% of respondants who identified themselves as Christian believe in a god

theres no surprise there – I know people who are life-long regular church-goers, active in their church too not just making up the numbers, and quite open about the fact they don’t believe in god.

If you look at the states where there is a very high level of church attendance – a large proportion of those church goers are there out of social politeness, not faith. It was illustrated when there was the stooshie about a radical preacher at a church that Obama was supposed be a member of. Of course Obama was never at those surmons – he’d done what a lot of people do choose a church where the congregation is so big no one will notice that you’re not there.

tyger
    Free Member

There are churches that are growing in the UK too

Junkyard
    Free Member

Indeed but overall it is a dying faith as science and rationalism replaces secularism.

I dont think either side will lever fully “win” but the role of religion as central to everyone’s life is a thing of the past and the church goers need to get used to this fact and their declining influence.

Junkyard
    Free Member

DP

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Interesting reading – our changing country’ is closed to new replies.