Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Interesting bike wheel replacing a wheel car video
  • mudmonster
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ7dtrRrSTg[/video]

takisawa2

Like it. 🙂

roverpig

That’s an interesting way to stress relieve your new wheel.

I think he should have measured the tension in the upper spokes rather than the lower ones though. I could be wrong, but I thought it had been established that the hub on a bicycle wheel hangs from the top spokes rather than standing on the bottom ones.

toys19
    Free Member

He was measuring the lower tension to see when the spoke went slack.
    Its a shame they did not do the simplest of calcs to work out the the wheel was just too big, smaller dia rim, like 20 inch would have been better.
    Also, some hand calcs will give a good estimate of when the wheel would fail.
    Brave…

roverpig

Fair enough, I’d still want to monitor the tension on those upper spokes though, as that’s presumably where it will fail. Nipple failing or pulling out of the rim would be my guess.

Using a car is a dramatic way of showing how strong a bike wheel can be, but the instantaneous load when somebody lands a big drop/jump must be pretty high, so I guess it shouldn’t be a surprise. I’d like to see some high speed cornering 😈

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Interesting bike wheel replacing a wheel car video’ is closed to new replies.