Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Interest Rates – no rise!
  • scotroutes

I’d be as well withdrawing all my savings and splashing it on coke, hookers and Ducatis!!

Stoner
    Free Member

time you old folks were subsidising the younger generations Onion!
    😀

wwaswas

this is disappointing news for those of us with long term fixed rate mortgages too.

I want to be able to feel smug and it’s just not possible whilst rates stay low. *stamps foot*

wrightyson
    Free Member

They ain’t going anywhere just yet. Especially as we’ll soon have 14 houses to sell 😯

wordnumb
    Free Member

Another year ’till the general election…

Stoner
    Free Member

which will have absolutely no effect on interest rates,…

scotroutes

I think you’re misunderstanding cause and effect….

brooess
    Free Member

Not a good sign IMO

With house prices continuing to rise there’s a serious risk of UK consumer getting into seriously unmanageable amounts of debt. We’re there already and low price of debt will make it even worse.

Given all the stories the various policymakers have been putting into the media recently to try and cool down the housing market, you have to ask why they’ve not put up rates this time… it is because it’ll crystalise the personal debt and bring the whole ‘recovery’ falling down just before an election?

Stoner
    Free Member

none of the main parties have any major differences on monetary policy, so they are not going to change any of the government influence on the the MPC. The MPC are then still “independent” and set interests rates to meet standing policy (2% inflation, industrial investment, housing prices etc etc) and none of those influences are impacted by a change of government. Ergo, an election is not going to have a bearing on changes in interest rates any time soon.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Interest rates will not go up *significantly* for at least a couple of years. The BoE knows how many people will default on their mortgage payments if rates rise and thousands of homeowners in negative equity will just say ‘f this I’m declaring bankruptcy’. On the flip side it’s these same people who are encouraged to go out and spend more on flat screen TVs and the like instead of trying their hardest to bring their loan down

ThePinkster

For years different governments were telling us to save, save, save and this is the thanks we get for doing it…

I’m not a financial expert – does anyone know if this is having a long term impact on private/corporate pensions as well?

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

I’d be as well withdrawing all my savings and splashing it on coke, hookers and Ducatis!!

Then squander the rest!

ahwiles
    Free Member

Interest Rates – no rise!

of course not, nothing must be done to endanger the glorious debt bubble economic recovery!

brakes
    Free Member

maybe all you fogies need to start spending your accumulated wealth then rather than just sitting on it.

kcal

Seems out of kilter with my limited understanding of economics but then economics has so many variables, types and goal posts that need shifting I’ll never keep up!

It is a bit crazy as folk will then chase ever and ever more risky ways of making a return on their savings, or spend them. Either works for the gov. I guess – either way they don’t have to back savings that aren’t there, and the spending will maybe push an economy forward (over the cliff).

[Edit: what’s the outcome of spending savings though, if at least in part it’s protection against requiring caring for in old age.. oh, yes, we’ll become a burden on the state, that’s a great idea 🙂 ]

bikebouy
    Free Member

Good move IMO, need at least another 3 years of this before we can start hacking into credit cards all over again.

😆

mudshark
    Free Member

maybe all you fogies need to start spending your accumulated wealth then rather than just sitting on it.

Hmm Buy to Let?

brassneck

ECB cutting rates to 0.15% .. wonder if that’ll affect the UK?

scaled
    Free Member

and the deposit rate to -0.10%!

RT link

footflaps

I’m not a financial expert – does anyone know if this is having a long term impact on private/corporate pensions as well?

They don’t hold much in cash, most will be in bonds and equities.

All my cash savings are getting 5% or better (fixed rate ISAs or Bonds).

patriotpro
    Free Member

Savings?? Not been in possession of those since the little xtra club!

In the meantime, the low mortgage rates allow me to accumulate debt on other things 😆

MoreCashThanDash

Low mortgage rate means we have been steadily overpaying and will be mortgage free before I turn 46.

Then I’ll want the interest rates putting up!

sharkbait
    Free Member

All my cash savings are getting 5% or better

Really? I’d like to know who’s offering those sorts of rates even on big long term bonds (i.e. £100k over 5 years).

brakes
    Free Member

I’d be willing to bet that more people are happy that interest rates are staying low than those wanting them to go up.

LHS
    Free Member

Stocks are having a great time at the moment, change the bias of your portfolio into managed funds rather than cash.

footflaps

Really? I’d like to know who’s offering those sorts of rates even on big long term bonds (i.e. £100k over 5 years).

I locked them into 3-5 year fixed rates a few years back, as they mature I’m moving them to equities as current rates are really low. Last one matures next Aug I think.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Interest Rates – no rise!’ is closed to new replies.