Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Intense Tracer
  • Swiftacular
    Free Member

Anybody riding one of these? I look and i see the price, and say no, but then i see the frame and say yes…. Someone help convince me either way? (and i’m pretty sure i dont want a hemlock)

Marmite
    Free Member

Mate of mine has one and he loves it!! Not cheap granted but nice, i’ll post a pic later, think I have one.

IWH
    Free Member

I rode one a couple of weeks ago for a day in the local woods and thought it had potential. Just got it late last week for an extended test and I bloody hate it. Not only is the fitted DHX a piece of crap the back end (no matter how much time you spend adjusting it) feels dead midway through the travel. I even took it down to the LBS so they could check the shock but they say all is ok.

I’m glad I was only trying it because I was curious and not because I wanted one (much). Hugely underimpressed.

Oh, and the frame (considering it’s 6 weeks old and has less than 1500 miles in it) looks shocking. Cable rub all over that’s gone right through to the alloy, big chips flaking off. Certainly wouldn’t be happy if it had been my money.

I’ve actually given up on it this afternoon and have packed it up for shipping back.

IMO Jeff & Team must try harder. And this from somebody who likes Intense.

craig1975
    Free Member

here is photo of mine, Ive had mine for 3 months now and I love it, but does suffer from bad cable rub!!

Swiftacular
    Free Member

IWH, where did you get one from for test? Stuck in lincolnshire theyre not easy to find.

IWH
    Free Member

A friend leant me his that he *cough* privately imported. I’ve got to figure out a way of telling him politely that I hated it :-s

Have you contacted Extra to see if there’s any demo dealers in your area? 01933 672 170 or service@extrauk.co.uk

iDrew
    Free Member

I have a Tracer VP – I love it.
    It has taken a fair bit of playing about to find the sweet spot with the RP23, but now its set, there is no need to flick the propedal on as it climbs brilliantly without.

RE a demo bike: Extra UK sent one to LeisureLakes for me to borrow for a weekend

daveevs
    Free Member

Rode one the other weekend and loved it. Happy shopping!

IWH
    Free Member

The tags are funny. Can you feel the inverse snobbery?

So what’s the shock that’s meant to come on this bike? I’m beginning to wonder if the DHX that was fitted was valved for something completely different which would explain an awful lot.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

The first tag was mine, in response to a likely reply, along the line of, “buy a hemlock, and save enough money to buy the forks”. But although i had a BFe and loved it, the hemlock does nothing for me, and i like VPP. Id go for a Nomad if it wasnt so ugly. The tracer is one of the nicest framesets ive seen, just need to convince myself its worth £2500 for a frame and forks, and itll probably have gone up another 20% before i do.
    The red paint looks nice, almost translucent though, is it really thin?
    Thinking a red one, with a pair of 1 1/2 ” White Fox 36’s should be all the bike ill ever need. Although a Remedy would come in about £1500 less for a full bike….. Damn decisions.

Frisky
    Free Member

I’ve had a go on one. It doesn’t know what it wants to be. Try a DW Turner 5 spot. 🙂

Ed-O
    Free Member

When we had the Tracer test bike in it was much loved. One of the best bikes I’ve ever ridden.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Is it just me or do the pikes look really noodly on that frame?

chakaping
    Free Member

i like VPP. Id go for a Nomad if it wasnt so ugly.

Have you thought about a Giant Reign?

Got one myself for a song recently and it’s brill with my 36 Talas fork on it.

chuffnuts

Well I like mine, it’s all the bike I’ll ever need….until the next one 😉

No seriously this is it, it rides so well on so many different types of terrain.

I_Ache
    Free Member

^How to make a nice bike look ugly^

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Giants just dont excite me, plus theyre so common round here, everyone has one.

Richyb
    Free Member

Whats the head angle? looks a bit steep.

chuffnuts

^How to make a nice bike look ugly^

Let’s see yours then?

scruff
    Free Member

-1 Red Lizard Skin.
    -2 Shockpost thing.
    -3 Triple Ring.
    -4 Mavericks.

chuffnuts

-1 Red Lizard Skin.

Personal taste, maybe black would look better but I’m more concerned that the chain didn’t whack the crap out of my chainstay.

-2 Shockpost thing.

What is a shock post thing?

-3 Triple Ring.

Like I said, this bike does everything I want it to. For me that includes riding to the trail on the road, I like pedalling as fast as I can so I require a large chainring.

-4 Mavericks.

I know, not everyone’s cup of tea but I like them. Have you owned a pair?

scruff
    Free Member

Mavericks, I’ve seen 3 sets exploded internally and pi55 oil out. They are also fugly.

chuffnuts

So does that mean that mine are crap then?

What should I have instead o’wise one? 😀

Seriously though, a fork upgrade will be my next step. Although I do struggle to find a fork that offers the weight/performance that i get from my Mav’s.
    I should add now I have tuned the forks to my liking with less compression damping and more rebound. My lock down even works on these!

I_Ache
    Free Member

chuffnuts I understand that you are defensive about your rather expensive collection of metal parts but face it, its fugly. Its not the post or the chainset for me but the forks, god there ugly.

It might ride fantasticly but that doesnt excuse the looks of the thing. The other two have tripples and the top even has a SSC dropper they both even have lizard skins but take a look. They look so much better even the second one with the red pike stickers and the, and I use this term loosely’colour coordinated’ 50/50s looks much better.

chuffnuts

OK I give in you’re going to have to give me a new pair of forks. If you can do that I’ll take the red lizard skins off.

One more point. I LIKE HOW IT RIDES, that’s why I bought it. I don’t look at it when I’m riding it and when I’m not riding it it’s in my shed so I don’t really care….although I do have previous with fugly bikes, I had a Whyte JW2, bleagh!

matt_outandabout

I like it chuffnuts – ignore em.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Or go and buy a Santa Cruz Blur LT2 which is basically the same bike. I think the deal is that Intense contribute to SC’s development costs and then get the licence to use the technology cheap or at low cost. The Blur does not look as nice, but sounds like it is better finished and has wider dealer support

mikeyd
    Free Member

Get one. I originally bought some Pikes for it which TNT ‘lost’. Looks much better with 36s and that’s all that matters!

MrNutt
    Free Member

the owner of one of my LBS’s has one, I think its even in that tasty bare metal, He’s got the pick of some really nice bikes and thats his choice, I hear from him thats its luurvely.

I also know that they have at least one (red) in stock. (red planet bikes, old town in swindon)

0pt1cal
    Free Member

I did spend two weekends on a Blur LT (with Pikes and a 36) before pulling the trigger, but the Tracer had the edge for me.

The Tracer is a great bike, VPP2 is a big improvement…I’ve been riding it 3-4 times a week since November and have been very impressed. Its a superb climber and more importantly can cope with the technical Munro descents and rides I want to do. I was riding it with a Pike for the first month before moving to a Talas 36 and this definately suits better, but that’s maybe because of the descents I do?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Intense Tracer’ is closed to new replies.