Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Intense Tracer VP 5.5 inch guise?
  • Nonsense
    Free Member

I’m planning a new build and I really like the idea of the Tracer VP. I’d like to swap my 140mm maxle light Rev’s, XT groupset and ProII/Mavic wheels over. It seems from the limited research I’ve done that the frame suits a 160mm fork better? Anyone here running 140mm forks and how do they find the handling? I’m thinking I might upgrade to the 2010 150mm Revs to slacken the head angle a little and go with the full blown 1.5 steerer. I’d be grateful for any advice or experience anyone has before I spend silly money on a new frame. Would also be grateful for weights on anyones full builds. If it’s too heavy I may just go for a 575. Ta.

pedalhead
    Free Member

I’ve ridden A Tracer VP with 140mm forks & they were a good match. It’s a pretty flexible frame that can be built up either way I reckon, and of course the adjustable dropouts help with angles if necessary.

ChrisS
    Free Member

Adjustable dropouts?

Try the mtbr manufacturers forum, loads of info in there:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35

Vortexracing

Gee76 (Grant) off here has one he has run it with 140mm for the last 2-3 weeks. He loves it. He is considering slackening the angle slightly by altering the lower race in the headset. It would only lob 1/2 degree off though.

pedalhead
    Free Member

my bad, I thought the Tracer came with the new G3 dropouts, as per the new Uzzi & 951. Would be ideal on this frame imho.

Gee76
    Free Member

Cheers Chuck, yup I have a blue un built up with 140mm fox van r (15mm’s) at the moment. It is a fantastic bike so far and still playing with the set-up. I test rode it before I bought in both short and long travel settings and there is a bit of a contrast. The short set-up is great for climbing and nice and zippy on singletrack.
    On the test ride the long travel felt pretty similar to my ellsworth moment so gonna build it like that for a while to get a more long term feel for it (and the lower bb over the ellsworth). Like you I am keen on the idea of the new 150mm revs (low weight and the adjustment), although maybe some nice float 36’s would do the trick. Think I need to see how the 160mm set-up fairs and whether I need travel adjust.
    I currently run a flush hope reducer (seemed best low weight/priced option) but a few members of mtbr have recomended a slightly slacker non-flush reducer so might swap in a 10mm lower race to back off the h/a angle another half a degree-ish.
    Half of me thinks the 150mm revs and 10mm lower race would give me a good low weight flexible option. Other half of me thinks go for a slightly burlier build (36’s) and rely on my hardtail to cover off other options… time will tell :).. and some fun fettling!!!

LabMonkey
    Free Member

5.5″ or 6″ setting, normal CK (1.5″) headset and 160mm Float 36 RC2’s – thats what I have and it works brilliantly!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Intense Tracer VP 5.5 inch guise?’ is closed to new replies.