Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Intense Tracer 2, SC Blur ltc, Orange five
  • edward2000
    Free Member

Hi everyone,

I am looking for some advice and opinions. I currently have a 2011 orange 5 with a ccdb. Its a great bike, but the problem I have is thats its a single pivot which has its benefits and its flaws. MY DH bike is an ironhorse Sunday with the DW link which is fantastic. I am beginning to think my am bike could be better. I am looking at the Intense Tracer 2 and the Santa Cruz Blur ltc (Nomad i think is a bit to dh orientated).

What are peoples opinions on the tracer and/or the blur? Would you reccomend one and not the other and why?

Any input would be awesome!

Thanks!

Ted

ANy replies would be great!

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I looked at the tracer for a bit and I’m now deciding between a Nukeproof Mega and a Titus El Guapo. Also considered the Santa Cruz nickel. all are about just as much bike for a lot less money.

d45yth
    Free Member

The Tracer 2 and the Blur LTc are quite different bikes. You say the Nomad is too DH orientated, it has more in common with the Tracer 2 than the Blur.
    I think the Tracer is too heavy to use in its lower travel setting too…what size forks are you planning on using? If 160mm, I can’t see why you wouldn’t choose a Nomad C over the Tracer? I’d only go for the Blur if I was going for a 150mm fork.

Decisions, decisions!

dreednya

If you like the feel of the DW-link then why not look at the Turner 5-spot or Ibis Mojo SL special blend?

wrecker
    Free Member

I have a fair amount of time on all (i currently own an ltc and a DW 5 spot). The LTc is closer to the tracer 2 than the nomad which is nearer the Uzzi, it’s a seriously capable bike. They’re all similar yet quite different if that makes sense. What exactly are you looking for in your AM bike?

almightydutch
    Free Member

I’ve got a Blur LT2 with 160mm Lyriks on it. Goes all day and handles anything. I did have 150 Revs but they felt twangy. I would say that the bike feels best at 160mm front end too, the geometry just works for me.

womble321
    Free Member

How about a Intense Carbine ? And it just so happens i have one for sale 🙂

traildemon1
    Free Member

I have owned a blur lt alloy, nomad Mark 1, dw link 5 spot, mojo sl and hd and now have a tracer 2 which I’m selling as just got a blur trc for trail riding! I ran my tracer 2 with both 160 and 150mm forks and I felt it was a lot more balanced with the 150s. It’s a bit heavy but it’s a great fun bike. The turner 5 spot I felt was a lot more composed, Probably a better climber but certainly not as much of a hooligan going down. Would definitely recommend the tracer 2. If you’re interested in mine it’s a medium with full xtr drivetrain, hope brakes, xt wheels and fox forks and shock. Massive spec. Also would just like to say the trc feels just as much bike as lots of 140mm+ bikes I’ve ridden! Would definitely recommend it! Geometry is spot on!

dirtyboy

I had a Ccdb on my five and I hated it unless it was pointing downhill, I got an rp23 from a mate for 150 quid fitted a spacer in the air can and I found it much better as a trail bike. The Ccdb just sucked all the life out of it. Tried different spring rates but couldn’t find a happy medium

Hadge
    Free Member

If you like the feel of the DW-link then why not look at the Turner 5-spot or Ibis Mojo SL special blend?

Exactly. Both are very very capable bikes and are real mile munchers and great all round bikes. I plumbed for the 5 Spot as I just prefer alloy frames compared to carbon but I guarantee you”l enjoy either.

edward2000
    Free Member

Thanks for the replpies peeps. I have the following comments to make in response to the above:

I would be using Fox Talas 120/160s forks. I would be using it for rides around the trail centres/peak/lake districk with the intention of getting as much fun out of the downs as is a reasonablke compromise with the climbs. I have heard the Tracer 2 is better at the climbs than the Nomad. Can anyone confirm this?

I have looked at a 5spot – i have heard the 2013 will come with more travel although its the quality of the travel not the quant. I am a big fan of a linkage rear travel system.

Dirtyboy boy i know exactly what you mean – the ccdb does seem to suck the life out of it, but i also think thats exaclty the point of the ccdb, it does its job whthout you really noticing its there.

Sorry if im not making much sense. Ive just returned from the curryhouse (ie drunk and bloated).

Thanks again

Ed

ComradeD
    Free Member

Turner 5 Spot

craig1975
    Free Member

The tracer 2 is a very good all rounder, @ 160mm set up climbs well, much better than the Tracer vpp, its a great all dayer and very capible on steep rocky DH stuff, trail centres, off piste, monro’s you name it, its happy doing it

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Blur LT2 is one of the best bikes I have demo’d in the Lakes. Straight after a Nomad C it handled everything really well and never felt out of it’s depth. Running a 150mm fork I think (maybe 140 – Std Fox build). Felt bottomless, climbed really well descended as well as the Nomad & Alpine & My Heckler (technical but not mental riding).

Great all rounder.

heihei

Traildemon1…..would be interested in your thoughts on the TRc esp vs Mojo HD which is what I currently ride in 140mm mode…..

wrecker
    Free Member

The 5 spot is a very composed bike. Compared with the VPP bikes, it needs a bit of finesse to get the best out of (good line choice, smooth riding etc). It is not very armchair/magic carpet. The BB is LOW; it takes some getting used to. The spot excels on smooth climbs, it has very little bob so you’ll be streaking past your mates up the hill! The only watch it is that the spot does not go well with the rp23, you’ll want a coil on there (coincidentally I have a large raw for sale w/van RC!!!)
    The Santa Cruz LTc is a remarkable feat light, stiff, so balanced. It climbs tech so easily and descends very very well. I don’t think it gives much up to the Nomadc at all. It’s far more active than the spot so bobs a little more but this is hushed somewhat by propedal. Cornering is so accurate it’s like telepathy!
    The tracer 2 is a nice bike but felt a little heavy to me. It did everything OK but I honestly prefer the Transition Covert (this should be on your list).

So; money no object; LTc
    efficient; 5 spot
    value; Covert
    good all rounder; Tracer 2

I won’t pass comment on the five.

traildemon1
    Free Member

Hi heihei
    I ran my mojo hd in 160 with 170 mm forks up front. Despite that I found it pretty easy to pedal and climb with (far better than I expected) and not all that heavy. It was really great on fast open trails where you could blitz along but if I’m honest it wasn’t that responsive on tight twisty stuff.
    The blur TRc is everything I expected. I’m riding it with 120 up front and its so flickable and playful. Easy to manual and bunny hop. Super light. It climbs really well but you have to be a bit careful of pedal strikes on techy climbs (after a couple of rides it becomes second nature, it just takes some getting used to). I haven’t had it all that long but I’m edging towards thinking it’s the best all rounder I’ve ever owned, and for a 120mm carbon bike that’s quite something!
    To compare the two, I found the blur could tackle anything I would hit on the hd. I’ve seen how strong Santa cruz carbon frames are so no worries there! I also found that the blur gives a lot more feedback. It feels more planted through corners etc where I felt the hd just sort of gets round them. I came straight from the hd to the trc and never felt a lack of travel at all. Vpp is very active and I run the forks and shock a little firm so I can pop of roots and throw it around. Also I find the trc quite slack enough with 120 (I know a lot of people opt for 140) and I have heard that its better balanced the way I ride it. it’s also super light and you really notice the difference. I’ve never run my hd in 140 but to be honest I can’t see it being hugely different from my hd (I might be wrong though!)
    Sorry that’s not the most eloquent answer and I probably haven’t done either bike justice!
    Anything else you want to know just ask,
    But I’d definitely recommend the trc to just about anyone!!

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

+1 for BLT with 160mm forks if you are going to be riding much steep stuff. That’s for an older BLT2 frame anyway. And with offset bearings you can get a slightly more “modern” head angle.

I found my 2009 BLT slightly too steep with 140mm forks, and then didnt really get on with 150mm Revs.

U-Turn Lyriks here, coil.

heihei

traildemon1 – thanks very interesting comparison and I get where you are coming from. Def intrigued by the trc, but also want to try a 29er before splashing out on my next bike. Guess I need to try a few.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Intense Tracer 2, SC Blur ltc, Orange five’ is closed to new replies.