Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Help! Intense spider2…. cheaper alternatives?
  • ChrisS
    Free Member

I really, really like the look of the new intense spider 2….. 2nd gen VPP suspension, 4.5-5.0″ travel, grease ports, 5.7lbs, head angle 69/70″, will take up to a 140mm fork:
    Press release

The problem is its going to cost about £1650 from CRC for the frame alone and I haven’t got that kind of money and can’t think of a cheaper alternative!

Can anyone suggest a light-ish 4-5 inch travel trail bike that would take up to a 140mm fork and is currently available to buy right now frame only?

richc
    Free Member

Giant Trance or Anthem X?

v10
    Free Member

Whyte E5s are available frame only at a decent price.

Anthem X is another option but 140 is probably pushing it travel wise and they are also sold out for the year @ giant and have been for some time.

ChrisS
    Free Member

True, but will they take a fork that long?

Trouble is I just can’t get excited about those giant fs frames, dunno why not, maybe it’s the paint schemes, or the swoopy bendy tubes, or just the fact they are giants. I guess I should take a proper look at them….

ChrisS
    Free Member

Hadn’t thought about a Whyte E5 <wanders off to google>

v10
    Free Member

E5 works as standard runs a 130 revelation which is only a few mm shorter than a 140mm fox.

ChrisS
    Free Member

blimey, those whytes appear to have a 71.6 deg head angle with 130mm forks, bit racy for what I had in mind.
    MBR seems to like them though 🙄

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Give the Giant Reign a test spin – its a good bike. I know what you mean about the colours, but if you want to save some dosh you will have to make a compromise. The Reign 0 is very well kitted out too, and you might be able to pick up a 2008 model for even less

steve_b77
    Free Member

chumba VF2 maybe?

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

08 spyders can be had for under 900quid, probably similar deals on 5.5 if you look around. or you could buy something made in a faceless factory in the far east.

v10
    Free Member

They arent super slack but 71.6 doesn’t sound right (although it does state that on the website!).

One of the reviews doesnt match up either:
    Clicky

Whyte says there is only a slight difference when it comes to the ride. Fitting a 100mm fork to the frame does have a more pronounced effect; it steepens the head angle from 69 to 70.5 degrees and lowers the bottom bracket by half an inch

Who knows!

An other option is a Commencal Super 4 but im not sure how this would handle the 140 fork.

ChrisS
    Free Member

Interesting ideas.

The giant reign is 6″ of travel though isn’t it? Which is definitely more than I need, kinda closer to a nomad than a blur if you know what I mean.

I can’t imagine a chumba VF2 is going to be much cheaper – is it?

I’ve seen the offers CRC have on the older 08 spider xvp frames, but I’m not sure they’ll take the longer fork? and I have a vague idea that the older version of vpp didn’t really let you use all of the travel. Also the sizing seems a bit odd, the large has a 24″ top tube but a 21″ seat tube, which seems very tall.

The whyte E5 geometry does seem like a bit of a mystery.

I wondered about the Commencal Super 4 myself, but no idea whether it would handle the longer fork and not sure how to find out…. still merlin has them pretty cheap which is a bonus.

ruminant
    Free Member

Afternoon all

Just a tag about the chumba vf2

I’m sure there was a thread about the frames and a discount deal with the new importers

ruminant
    Free Member

here you go saved you some leg work

chumba VF2

ChrisS
    Free Member

LOL @ ruminant. I think you might be right.

si_brodiebikes
    Free Member

I have to be careful with what i say, but we do have offers on the VF2, only until next week though..

mail me for details info@progressive-bikes.co.uk

richc
    Free Member

Knolly Endorphin? ridinghigh have one on offer for £900.

ChrisS
    Free Member

Never even considered a knolly. Unfortunately ther is no indication what size the frame is and it weighs 7lbs. Looks a bit more “all-mountain” than trail bike though.

richc
    Free Member

it’s their trail bike, the Delirium is there FR bike. Lots of info on MTBR about them and if you have more specially questions email Noel at Knolly, and you will get a stupid fast response.

RidingHigh is based in Bridgewater if thats helpful. I was looking at getting a Knolly, however the lead time was too long when I was looking at buy so I got something else. However I wouldn’t be surprised if its my next bike 😉

ChrisS
    Free Member

Looks nice, although it’s definitely the Endorphin that weighs 7lbs (3.2kg according to their site). Probably a bit overkill for most of my riding. I was kinda thinking of the FS equivalent of a cotic soul or on-one 456…

IdleJon

Cannondale Prophet. Still available I think.

ChrisS
    Free Member

But can you still get them frame only? Don’t think I’ve seen them advertised anywhere recently, same goes for the rush and the rize 🙁

Mole
    Free Member

Got a Med 04 5.5,would let it go for the right money.

ChrisS
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer, but I think I’d need a large.

CheesybeanZ

Orange 5 pro , 28lbs i think . Alps , trail centres ,enduros or even
    just riding local single track 8)

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Buy a prophet – strip it and flog the bits

ChrisS
    Free Member

Yeah, an Orange 5 frame would be the obvious choice I guess, everyone seems to like them although the 09 version is close to £1300.

I have thought about buying a prophet and flogging the bits, but it’s a bit of pain stripping, advertising, negotiating, packaging and posting it all and it’s hard to be sure how much I would get for them, so I haven’t really considered it seriously.

CheesybeanZ

yep its the OBVIOUS choice and theres lots on the trails and its
    so not niche BUT it does everything well…….

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Help! Intense spider2…. cheaper alternatives?’ is closed to new replies.