Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Intense 5.5 vs Specialized Enduro SL Carbon?
  • gunners
    Free Member

'Hmmmm', he says whilst stroking his chin in a questioning manner '…Which would you have?

I've got a 08 5.5 and am thinking about swapping it for a Spesh Enduro Carbon Pro- what dya reckon? Both are in great nick.

gunners
    Free Member

did i put this on the wrong forum or is it just a dull as shit topic 🙂

MussEd
    Free Member

for the sake of your paranoia, i'll say "Don't swap!"

gunners
    Free Member

cheers muss, i can out the tramazopan back down 🙂 Your opinion based on anything??

Curly68
    Free Member

Don't swap but then I am an Intense fan owning five of them!

roundwheels
    Free Member

Spesh Enduro = mondeo keep the 5.5

love
    Free Member

if 'tis a 2010 Enduro then S W A P!

gunners
    Free Member

nope it an 08 enduro carbon sl pro frame

backhander
    Free Member

No chance mate. Whatever you decide I hope it works out but I think you'll regret it if you swap.

gunners
    Free Member

oh, thought the carbon enduro was supposed to be a good all mountain bike? It ceratinly costs enough

backhander
    Free Member

IMHO, the enduro is a good bike but the spesh rear shocks are sh1t, the e150s are sh1t and the 5.5 is far superior in terms of quality, geo and sus design. Plus I'm a carbnonophobe so you may want to take my advice with a pinch of salt.

I have an '08 S-Works and it's the pooch's balls

Bregante

IMHO, the enduro is a good bike but the spesh rear shocks are sh1t, the e150s are sh1t

Is that based on anything at all? I have an Enduro SL and I agree that the shock could be better (but not sh1t), but IMHO opinion the E150 is superb, once it's properly set up. I have never ridden a 5.5, so can't offer an opinion on whether I'd swap, they look lovely bikes tho.

gunners
    Free Member

no forks involved- just a potential frame swap?

gunners
    Free Member

anyone else have an opinion????

bobbyspangles

i have a 5.5 and, where i do like the fluid riding feel-i do not like the mis alignment of my frame.
    the specialized would give a similar, supple ride i would think and be bearing heavy too, just like the intense.
    if i were in your position i would lighten and tune the intense, i like the feel and angles of the bike

backhander
    Free Member

Um ,apart from the massivelsy documented problems with the shocks and forks?
    You're right, I'm sure that all of the people who've exchanged them were one offs. 🙄

Coasting
    Free Member

Cricky mate its a no brainer.Intense all the way,ones a hand made work of art and the others aan expensive wharehouse piece of junk.I love the way Specialized keep reinventing the wheel.If the bloody bikes so good why completely change them every 4 minutes.At least Intense take time to refine there already impressive range.Sorry about the rant.

Hand made work of art??

Ha, ha – it's a bloody push bike

Warehouse junk? Whatever dude. Have you ever actually ridden one?

Ok, the model in question has it's flaws, but I had an '06 – critically acclaimed as one of the best all round bikes of our time. For me, the '08 actually suits me better.

I can't proclaim to give a balanced opinion, as I havent ridden an Intense, but you have to laugh at the blinkered views of Specialized.

grantway
    Free Member

Just cant see why you was thinking of swapping
    Just not making sence

solamanda
    Free Member

Did you buy the intense new? Surely its better keeping the frame with warranty. Not as if the intense is a bad bike and you need to get rid of it. The difference will be tiny between the bikes once you're actually riding.

Coasting
    Free Member

Gee Artist sorry if ive offended u.Just an opinion based around having ridden both bikes.Nothing really wrong with the Spec if you like those cookie cutter type bikes.The 5.5 just adds a bit more spice to the ride.

mudshark
    Free Member

…I had an '06 – critically acclaimed as one of the best all round bikes of our time.

Nah that was the '04 version… 😉

easygirl

ive had a spesh carbon 08 from new, 18 ish months now, its a fantastic bike
    the front forks did have a problem when first released, but now they are great, i had mione back to spesh in first 2 weeks for a problem, they fixed it and since then its been perfect, and ive thrashed it in italy, and spain
    the rear shocks are perfect, i dont knoww of any problems with them?
    best of all the fron and rear shocks have a 5 year warranty, which is transferrable between owners, where elase could you get that.
    i was sceptical about the carbon frame before buying, but it seems to be hardwearing, and is wearing well.
    i would say swop, it is easily as good as the intense in my eyes, and youve got legendary spesh customer support

easygirl

with referance to the warehouse junk tag, i would think the carbon frames are handmade and laid up to a high standard

Coasting – Member
    Gee Artist sorry if ive offended u.Just an opinion based around having ridden both bikes.Nothing really wrong with the Spec if you like those cookie cutter type bikes.The 5.5 just adds a bit more spice to the ride.

Lol – it takes a bit more than that to offend me.

The Spesh bashers make me laugh. As I said, no direct comparison between the two for me, but I bet there's a fair few on here would pick the Intense because of the label alone.

Can't say I've ever seen another bike like mine on the trails.

Oh, and the shocks/forks – never had a problem. Small bump sensitivity is a bit lacking if anything, but big hits are swallowed up and you'll not find a stiffer fork for it's weight

Anyway, I'm confused – is there nothing wrong with them (if you like cookie cutter types of bike), or are they expensive warehouse junk?

WTF's a 'cookie cutter' type of bike btw?

vinnyeh

WTF's a 'cookie cutter' type of bike btw?

I think he's implying that the Specialized is the same/similar design as many other mass produced designs on sale.
    Which of course fits in with his earlier claim that Specialized need to change the design every 5 minutes.

backhander
    Free Member

Whoa, I'm not a spech hater or bike snob at all but am just pointing out well known faults with a particular bike. If it had been a commencal I'd have done the same and am more trying to help the OP with advice.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=371112

Early failure of Specialized own-brand suspension elements has unfortunately proven very common indeed Unofficial figures suggest that for 2007 Enduro SL bikes alone, this is an occurrence for at least 64% of bikes sold

I know that spesh's warranty has been great to most and new shocks have been supplied (5-6 times in some cases) but it still leaves you without a bike for a while. Doesn't inspire confidence (IMHO).
    Personally, I think the frames look great but would prefer an alu one with an RP23.

easygirl

i think you will find the poster is asking about an 08 spesh enduro
    the shock faults were mainly with the early 07s
    it is now resolved, or are you judging all enduros after 07 as rubbish because of one small problem ?

backhander
    Free Member

No, you are incorrect; it seems that a great number of 08 spesh shocks and forks were also faulty.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=406739

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/2008-epic-shock-problems

easygirl

they are the future shocks, not the e150 from the enduro, or are we now slating spesh as a whole company?

gunners
    Free Member

wow, what have i started 😉

interesting to see a few spesh fans coming out of the woodwork- it looked at one point to be a clean sweep for 'dont do it'

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

well the 5.5 I had the back end was all over the place, changed the tyres and the forks, and the stem, still was not great. I have read many reviews and it is a skittish bike, and in reality it did not live up to its name (for me anyhow) considering the cost of an intense frame, I was not impressed! all I will say is try before you buy as the 5.5 does not suit all by any means!

grantway
    Free Member

Intresting did not know about the Spec cartidge problom
    but did know of people over tightening the two allen key fixings bottom of the fork and cracking the lower section
    Thats why after the shock designer left FOX to join Spec
    FOX introduced the quick release system on the 36 range of fork

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Intense 5.5 vs Specialized Enduro SL Carbon?’ is closed to new replies.