• This topic has 44 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by khani.
Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Integrated headset – wobbling about
  • joemmo
    Free Member

from the photo you posted and from looking at images of this headset online I think you may have the seal that sits on top of the top bearing upside down – but yes, sounds like a trip to a shop would be the best bet.

BadlyWiredDog

If you’re determined to do it yourself, take a look at the http://www.parktool.com website, which has an excellent basic ‘how to’ section and go back to first principles.

Tbh, if you’re asking which order to tighten the top-cap and stem-clamp bolts in, then you don’t really understand the basics of how a headset works. No-one’s trying to put you down or question your enthusiasm – we all had to start somewhere – but it helps if you understand how the fundamental bits of the bike work.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Not the point, at the start of the year I could barely do anything on my bike

Not too much progress then.

Next I set out to help my mates and riding buddies to save them some money on odd jobs

For the love of god and all that is holy please don’t go near their bikes again.
    HtH

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    PJay
    Free Member

I’ve never fitted integrated or semi-integrated headsets, just old school external cup types but looking at the picture below the bearing cartridges are similarly tapered. I would assume that the inside of the headtube is shaped to take the taper (as with an external cup). I’m wondering whether you might have one or both bearings the wrong way up; this would mean they’d not fit into the taper and would stand proud; it would also mean that the compression ring wouldn’t fit properly. May not be your issue but worth checking.

The other option, as others have said, is to pop along to the LBS and ask if you can what whilst they fit it – it’s a great way to learn.

khani
    Free Member

try swapping the bearings, in that pic above the bottom bearing looks taller than the top so you might have put em in wrong, different size/profile bearings top and bottom isn’t uncommon,
    And don’t listen to the STW spanner gods up there, keep on trying and learn from your mistakes, you’ll soon pick up how things work and go together and find out it’s not rocket science,
    Most of us mere mortals don’t have all knowledge inserted at birth and have to make mistakes and learn from em..
    hth…

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Integrated headset – wobbling about’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts