Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • integrated headset into carbon frame – 0.7mm too much for press fit?
  • scotia
    Free Member

just bought two frames to build up a bike for me and the better half… they are both cube carbon frames which take an integrated headset 1 1/8 to 1 1/2 but the drop in integrated headset that i got with them has thrown a little doubt my way.

its an fsa and the bottom race goes in perfectly. the top measures 41.75mm and the frame measures 41.05mm give or take..

this seems alot to me?

any opinions/knowledge?

im thinking a little trip to one of the good bike shops in the area..

dovebiker

0.7mm is way beyond a press-fit, ideally more like 0.1mm but even for headset bearings that’s overkill as a location-fit is all that’s needed as adjusting the headset self-centres them.
    You might want to check that you have the right bearing and check the manufacturer’s spec – it might be oversize or the wrong one?
    LBS might have a headset gauge to check that frame is accurate too.
    I’d certainly want to make sure before getting the ‘heavy tools’ out

benpinnick

41.05 sounds about right for a ‘standard’ (if there is such a thing) IS41 headset dimension. I think its actually 41.1 but who’s going to argue 0.05mm 🙂

Sounds like the other bearing might be a campag IS?

EDIT: Aye there you go 41.1 to 41.2 http://problemsolversbike.com/files/tech/s.h.i.s.pdf

simondbarnes

If the frame measures 41.05mm that that would suggest you probably need an IS41/28.6 upper headset

I don’t know what headset would measure 41.75mm, little bit small for IS42, too big to be IS41

simondbarnes

Ben clearly types faster than me 🙂

scotia
    Free Member

ah ok i have just given myself a lesson in headset new standards… wow this didnt exist in 2007…!

ok thanks for the heads up!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘integrated headset into carbon frame – 0.7mm too much for press fit?’ is closed to new replies.