Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Insuring a car – Not possible if non-UK resident?! Experience?
  • teacake
    Free Member

We’re moving back to the UK. We are both British citizens but have lived abroad for a few years. We want to buy a car before we arrive back as we’ll use it for some trips around especially over Christmas.

I called an insurance company and they wouldn’t insure me saying you must be resident in the UK.

So do I just give them my parent’s address and blag it? If so (and then had to make a claim) would the insurance stand if I was not residing in the UK at the time?

HELP!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Parents Address. As you suggest it will work, as for accident yes there would be a risk if that fact came to light.

What address do you have for your UK driving licence ? It’s legal requirement to update that within something like 10 days of moving FYI. I have lived abroad quite a lot in the last 10 years. Switching all addresses for things like this to your parents is quite frequently done.

What address will you register the car to ?

br
    Free Member

Hire one.

nealglover
    Free Member

Give them whatever address you will be living at when you are back, and using the car ?

konabunny
    Free Member

There are insurance companies that will insure non residents – I think Norwich Union is/was one. Look at round the world biker sites or call a proper broker or just keep looking at all terms until you find the right one.

Or give the car to inlaws and have them insure it, and then take it back from them when you move across?

john_drummer
    Free Member

+1 hire one

stim
    Free Member

Try Churchill. I live in Switzerland and after some searching around, found that they would add me to my parents’ policy for when I return home to visit. Many companies would not.

metalheart
    Free Member

Got a mate who is non resident and when his wife (who has just recently moved back to the UK) tried to get car insurance with him as a named driver found the same thing; nope.

FWIW he is over atm and has hired a car as the solution….

I think its a fairly recent change.

Hells

Try Zurich.

My Brother lives in Switzerland and has done for about 18 years! After years of various companies saying they wouldn’t add him to my mum’s policy Zurich have added him, at no extra cost, I think.

thecaptain
    Free Member

It may be a requirement to update your licence address, but it’s not possible if you move abroad, cos they won’t accept a foreign address.

teacake
    Free Member

As thecaptain says, you are required to update your driving license when you move abroad, but you need to have a UK address to do this – DUH. Same with so many things, banks, iTunes and Paypal etc.

I think I’ll ask my parents to insure and then see if I can be a named driver.

Thanks for the input everyone. 😆

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Insuring a car – Not possible if non-UK resident?! Experience?’ is closed to new replies.