• This topic has 27 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by mesh.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Insurance, who is everyone using nowadays?
  • gooner69

Looking to insure following a house move and don’t particularly like the attitude from the AA, any alternatives?

Need to cover 12 bikes ranging from 400 quid to “omfg how much”

Thanks in advance peoples

🙂

legend
    Free Member

Pedal Cover are the obvious one, never had to claim but otherwise good

gooner69

thanks, never heard of them so I will get onto google:0)

steviep
    Free Member

Have a look at Barclays, they have been very good for me.

IHN

Axa (or it might be Zurich) via Fresh Insurance

legend
    Free Member

^ that reminds me, should’ve pointed out that Pedal Cover are just selling Axa home insurance with additional bike cover bolted on.

tweeky
    Free Member

Try Aviva. Go through Top Cashback and you get £50 back. I was with M&S Insurance for years, then their premiums went daft. They always covered expensive bikes and climbing gear.
    Looked at Aviva and their policies are good. Based on premiums and customer service. Fortunately not had to use them.

Oooooooh to be a…..GOONAH!

stevied
    Free Member

Pedalcover here too. Very good price and my policy includes bikes in transit etc. Even covered me for a trip to Whistler on the same policy, no extra charge.

gooner69

Loads to consider, thanks everybody.

🙂

burko73

Anyone using NFU household an d insuring bikes on top?

LMT
    Free Member

I use John Lewis, no idea’s on claims but they cover my named bikes and house contents, insurance for mobiles out and about usual stuff comes in at £17 a month. Came about as previous insurer Bradford and Bingley wouldn’t insure my postcode when I moved house, only moved 2 miles down the road!

stevious

Direct Line Select are worth checking out if you have loads of bikes. They don’t ask you to name anything – it’s all covered under the same terms as your other stuff.

Our mortgage broker tried his level best to beat their premium when we moved by looking at all of his providers and couldn’t get close.

burgatedicky

We’re with the NFU for building and contents. We ha to claim for water damage last year and the service was faultless. It’s a bit of a faff having to ring them for a quote as they have no internet based system, but I would recommend them whole heartedly.
    Bikes are in a shed outside and that wasn’t a problem.
    I’ve also go a whole load of DSLR kit listed with them, and away from home cover which seems pretty foolproof. Sadly insurance is a “get what you pay for” thing and takes hours of your life to organise….every…single…year…

monde
    Free Member

I use the NFU. No need to specify bikes and give you set cover for outbuildings (£20k in my case even though my bikes aren’t worth anything like that). Best thing about it is the renewal stays the same for a number of years if you dont claim which means you don’t have to chop and change every year.

legend
    Free Member

stevious – Member

Direct Line Select are worth checking out if you have loads of bikes. They don’t ask you to name anything – it’s all covered under the same terms as your other stuff.

We saved around 40% (£600ish to £350ish) moving from Direct Line Premier Select to Pedal Cover. No two sets of circumstances are ever the same in insurace world of course

burko73

Legend are you saying your annual premium is £1k -£1.5per yr? What are you getting for that?

mudhead84
    Free Member

Was nicely surprised when I rang Halifax to put 3 bikes on my house and contents insurance costing more than 4K and it only cost a tenner a month. This includes away from home and the back of my van. Total is approx £40 a month with £50 cash back if I don’t claim every year.

legend
    Free Member

burko73 – Member
    Legend are you saying your annual premium is £1k -£1.5per yr? What are you getting for that?

Nope, saying it went down from £600 to £350 when I move to Pedal Cover

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I use John Lewis, no idea’s on claims but they cover my named bikes and house contents, insurance for mobiles out and about usual stuff comes in at £17 a month

Similar here. Left M&S as they were getting beyond silly premiums. Looked at Pedalcover but they were no better than JL & a bit more complicated (like taking out an extra policy to cover excess (or something) plus the guy kept ringing me when I was having a black dog period. Happy with JL although I haven’t claimed up to now.

legend
    Free Member

The excess cover is really simple and also optional…… no idea what a black dog period is though

njee20
    Free Member

that reminds me, should’ve pointed out that Pedal Cover are just selling Axa home insurance with additional bike cover bolted on.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting anything else. It’s a moot point when they’re cheaper than Axa direct though.

JL had limits when I looked of £3k per bike. Still underwritten by RSA (Moreth>n), but could’ve updated that. Worth checking.

I was sceptical of Pedal Cover, they really were so much cheaper than anyone else, and I struggled to find anyone who had put in a big claim (those two things are probably linked), but after doing as much due diligence as I could I thought they were worth it! Halved my M&S renewal and absolutely smashed any other quote I got into a cocked hat.

onandon
    Free Member

I’m with AXA , they insure 12 bikes on my home insureance also ranging from not much to too much.

FuzzyWuzzy

Pedalcover for me as well (last couple of years), not had to claim but no complaints about the service. Taking out the policy was as easy as any other company I’ve used (no additional policy stuff).

legend
    Free Member

I don’t think anyone is suggesting anything else. It’s a moot point when they’re cheaper than Axa direct though.

I was making sure that people who haven’t dealt with Pedal Cover knew it, anyone that already had would obviously know

njee20
    Free Member

But why is it significant? All ‘brand name’ insurance is underwritten by someone else?

John Lewis = RSA
    M&S = Axa

Etc

gooner69

Update as im the OP.

Got several quotes, far and away the best cover/price were Pedal Cover.
    Had a long chat with the owner/manager and they have had this specific type of policy written for them by AXA. Hence no available via any other source.
    Bikes are all fully covered inside the property, and a maximum item limit outside of enough to cover 3 bikes plus kit etc.
    Means I don’t have to list everything individually and as long as we (Mrs Gooner and I) never take more than 3 bikes out with us we are fully covered anywhere in the world.

Before anyone asks, nope no connection to Pedal Cover in any way
    🙂

robertgray05
    Free Member

Have never looked at Pedal Cover but that sounds promising.

We’re with Hiscox… definitely not the cheapest, but excellent service talking to real people and no need to specify individual items/bikes. And no limit on bike value!

mesh

Bit of a heads up for the e-bike owners – noticed in the small print of my renewal (aviva) that they class electric assist as ‘motorised’ and so not covered under either home or additional bike cover.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Insurance, who is everyone using nowadays?’ is closed to new replies.