Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Insurance valuations ……possible wright off
  • singlecrack
    Free Member

Just had an insurance assessor out to look at my van that was rear ended last week…..he seems to think it’ll be a wright off…..what is the likelihood I’ll get a fair valuation …how do they calculate ….is it through something like the glasses guide or market value …..will it be a battle to get a fair offer ….anyone had any experience of late ?

spooky_b329

It will be the lowest of the trade value.

Reject the offer and come back with examples of local vans of similar condition currently for sale, and any reasons your van is worth more (trim level, dealer history etc)

steveh

They’ll offer low to start, always do and the assessors get commission for doing so (possibly not in all cases). Start looking for similar examples to you van for sale and copy/pdf print/print the ads (in case they sell and get deleted) and then if the first offer is not to your liking use this evidence to say they need to offer you more.

lerk
    Free Member

IIRC in a non-fault claim they cannot write off your vehicle (unless you let them), you may have issues if your insurers are the same or related to the other party’s, but otherwise you should be able to get them to fight for correct recompense…

bruneep

what is the likelihood I’ll get a fair valuation

None

how do they calculate

Instructions from the school of comedy offers

is it through something like the glasses guide or market value

from the above school

ill it be a battle to get a fair offer

Yes

I got my offer reduced as my FSH stamp was late by 2 months, so in their eyes I had missed the service schedule..

slimy bastids cost me about £1.5k difference for replacement like for likeish. for something that wasn’t my fault

singlecrack
    Free Member

Thanks all.
    I’ve already been looking at similar spec and milage vans ……
    I thought there may be a battle ..oh well ..lets just see what they offer ….

TheFlyingOx

From my own long and drawn out experience, if you want a prompt and acceptable settlement:

1. Go to Glass’ Guide for a true market value for your vehicle. It’ll give you a range of dealership prices.
    2. Decide on a fair value within this range depending on your van’s spec and condition.
    3. Send your request for this amount as settlement along with a screenshot of the Glass website valuation, and link to here: http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/technical_notes/motor-valuation.html
    4. In your request make mention of Section 2 of the guidelines, referring in particular to:

“We pay most attention to valuations given in motor-trade guides, such as Parkers’, Glass’s and CAP. These are based on extensive nationwide research of actual selling prices (rather than just advertised prices).”

and

“We do not usually find advertisements for similar vehicles very persuasive. A vehicle may often be sold for less than the advertised price – and differences in mileage, year of registration, model type etc can significantly affect the value.”

I was three months arguing with insurers about their derisory treatment of me and their laughable offers last year. Unfortunately for them I already had a replacement vehicle so had the time to wait it out, and eventually stumbled upon the Ombudsman’s guidelines. I went through the above steps and a cheque for the amount I was requesting arrived the day after.

EDIT – forgot to say: tell them that if they don’t accept your valuation then you will be referring the case to the Ombudsman.

Legoman
    Free Member

We built a case using the cars history, recent bills & local ads for similar models.
    Got an increase of around 20% over the first offer.

Also worth considering buying the car back from the insurance company if it’s still drivable

lerk
    Free Member

We built a case using the cars history, recent bills & local ads for similar models.
    Got an increase of around 20% over the first offer.

Also worth considering buying the car back from the insurance company if it’s still drivable

They don’t own it!

mick_r

I found CIS was very fair – it was a van modified with rear seats and windows (down as modified on the policy). 133,000 miles and 9 years old.

Assessor rang me up and asked what I thought was a fair price! Told him well maintained, light domestic use, 1 owner from new so it had to be top book retail price (£3kish – can’t remember exactly) plus £1000 to cover cost of new rear seats and windows. Backed it up by a posting a heap of receipts and service history. No quibble and cheque arrived very promptly (was eventually settled as no fault but the other idot’s insurer was in full stall and drag feet mode at that stage).

I think legally (or the thing you need to argue for) is that they have to put you back into the situation you were in prior to the accident.

maccruiskeen

they have to put you back into the situation you were in prior to the accident.

Not immediately prior I hope – that would be terrifying.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Insurance valuations ……possible wright off’ is closed to new replies.