Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Insurance question
  • Merak

A 'friend' has overtightened a component on his carbon frame which has resulted in the frame bursting.

Obviously a horrific and expensive mistake to make is there any way this can be can claimed under insurance?

I only ask as I recall someone driving into multi story car park with their carbon bike on the roof rack which they successfully claimed insurance for.

Cheers

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Accidental damage on home insurance?

Merak

Aye, this is what I was wondering. I'm unsure how that works though?

Suggsey
    Free Member

I once claimed for a brand new pair of rugby boots on the house insurance having snapped off a stud on an expensive 3 month old pair and they paid out fine. If you have good house insurance with accidental coverage ie like M&S's I would assume that it will be covered as long as it was not due to outright negligence ie recklessness with a big spanner to tighten a tiny nut.
    I also had a mate whose petrol tank burst whilst he was working on the offending tank and disolved his tarmacadam drive-he too successfully claimed.
    Nothing ventured nothing gained……

DT78
    Free Member

Phone them or read your policy? I've claimed in the past on home insurance for a broken steerer where I had a bit of a stack (had away from home cover on M&S insurance)

Merak

The 'friend' was using a torque wrench set to specified rating and it burst under the load of 6nm.

happysnapper
    Free Member

I'd try a warranty claim first. If the torque wrench was set correctly it might be worth talking to the manufacturer/importer.

trail_rat
    Free Member

is it front mech crimping then ?

afaik front mechs max torque setting is 6nm but when clamped to a carbon frame most manufacturers recommend 3.5-4 nm using fiber grip carbon paste …. certainly merida and ibis and planet X do

trail_rat
    Free Member

as for insurance if you have accidental damage it broke when you were riding it … its eay to justfy that as the front mech clamps pretty much on a force moment throughout the frame….. seen plenty go thus why lots of carbon bikes are using Etype/roadie mounts

or a mate riding it along and you reversed into him coming out your drive ……

Merak

Cheers for taking the time to reply, yes the front mech has indeed crimped.
    What do you mean by 'its eay to justfy that as the front mech clamps pretty much on a force moment throughout the frame….. '

Should I say it just collapsed?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Insurance question’ is closed to new replies.