Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Insurance Paid Out. £1k Hardtail to buy before Monday.
  • Saccades
    Free Member

Pauls cycles is always worth a look.

prawny

Silver just means heavier than Gold, it’s the TK vs RL that is more importanter

That cube is great value if you’re doing XC racing, but mental for normal riding.

scandal42
    Free Member

The Yari is a top fork.

Miles better than those recon/silver things.

vincienup
    Free Member

Yari is a Lyrik chassis with a cheaper damper. Chassis wise it’s stiffer than a Pike and way beyond Revs, Rebas, 32’s, 34’s etc. It can be upgraded to the Charger damper later or way beyond if you want. It’s a belter of a fork.

Drivetrain wise, Shimano vs SRAM ergonomic concerns still apply, but as actual 11sp groups they’re completely different and SRAM has all the performance edges at all price points. Shimano basically haven’t tried. It’s always a personal choice, but if you’ve been away from components a while you should really look at the SRAM stuff, it may not be what you remember.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Purchased. Happy days.

Got a 20″ . Hopefully will be perfect with a shorter stem. Took a bit of a pint on the extra inch but I’ve been hankering for more space for years.

Not a bad upgrade from a 26″ Singlesped Inbred, I must say. Might paint it…

pickle
    Free Member

What did you go for in the end?

cfinnimore
    Free Member

The Marin. I need forks and a frame that will take at least 5 years and several rounds of components and I simply couldn’t find anything that came close in value.

I also get to try modern things like super short stems and dropper posts. And gears. Never had any of those before. It’s time for a “Single speeder gets gears” thread.

matt_outandabout

I’m waiting for mine to be delivered today…
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/new-bike-day-the-wait

I also get to try modern things

It’s a bike. Just shinier….

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads up Matt.

Do you have any plans for additions? I would be very interested to see what the biggest tyre someone’s managed to comfortably goy on. Used to having 2.35 Minions but probably overkill on 650b.

High Rollers away!!!

matt_outandabout

At the moment it’s just going to get ridden lots!
    Mine came with massive tyre pressures in (@45psi in both….) so I slowly let air out on the ride last night, and it’s feeling tons better. It also came with a couple of fork volume Tokens, and I can feel that the fork is quite linear, so I might pop them in.
    The tyres are huge due to the much wider rims on my old bike – mrs_oab asked if it was a fat bike! Really different shape to the tyres too. The rear tyre is too optimistic for UK riding – I am sure that will get changed before long.
    I plan on going tubeless, so that will change grip / comfort levels, and loose a bit more weight.
    1x was fun – it’s low enough for hills, but noticeably lower top gear when rolling down the road. I’m still to be convinced, but have 2x shifter and mech in the cupboard if I need. 😉
    The brakes are basically Deores, less shiny finished. I think I’m going to swap them I think for my Magura’s, as they are adjustable for reach and I prefer the feel.
    Overall – by heck it’s a different riding position to old bike, I’m needing to faff with tyre pressures to up the comfort levels, we shall see if 1×11 is enough range. It’s fast.

scandal42
    Free Member

2.35 minions should fit easily.

The fork has taken a bit of bedding in but it becomes very nicely plush, as stated, tokens supplied to mess about with.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

I am very excited. I won’t replicate your smashing “new bike day” posts.

Thanks for the tyre advice, I really do love a good DHf & rear. I think in this day and age i’ll be struggling to go back to singlespeed mountainbiking. The one thing I will hanker for is my Zee cranks so that’ll be the first thing to go on with Saint pedals for some added familiarity.

We should have a “Nail Trail Race”. Anyone else you know got one?

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Insurance Paid Out. £1k Hardtail to buy before Monday.’ is closed to new replies.