Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Insurance for new car whilst damaged one repaired before selling
  • mudshark
    Free Member

My car needs fixing after a bash and could be out of action for a number of weeks but I need a car now so as I was planning to change it anyway I’ve just agreed to buy another. So temporarily I will have 2 cars but will sell the old one once fixed under its insurance. Ideally I would be able to switch the cover from the old car to the new one and not have the old one insured – is that possible or must the cover stay in place until it’s fixed? If I have to get new insurance I understand that I won’t be able to use my no claims for that one so it’ll cost a lot more until the old car is sold at which point I could then cancel my new one and switch over the old one I suppose?

Anyone done anything like this?

windydave13
    Free Member

You can normally add another car to your policy for i think 14days. It could be less.

When i was in this situation i looked at the temp cover sites and they wanted £500+ for about 20days. In the end i transfered my old policy to the new car and then took out a new policy for the old one until i sold it and then canceled the policy. Cost me about £60 in the end from memory.

ste_t
    Free Member

You can just add the new car onto the same policy for upto a month generally then swap it over once the old one is done and ready to go.

I couldn’t do this with mine though as the new car was 5 insurance groups higher and they would only go to 4, so had to swap to new car then add old car onto the policy.

mudshark
    Free Member

Best option seemed to be to buy a policy which I’ll cancel when I can transfer my other one over.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Insurance for new car whilst damaged one repaired before selling’ is closed to new replies.