• This topic has 11 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by ji.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Insurance for driving test?
  • krixmeister

I currently drive on an international (USA) license. I’d like to use my wife’s car to take the practical test, already booked. The DVLA website makes it clear that you must have insurance for this (of course), but before I contact my wife’s insurance company (which I will do) I’m just wondering other people’s experience on this?

I looked into hiring a dual-control car, but the location I’m taking the test (North of Scotland) doesn’t have any rental locations nearby – meaning I would need to hire a dual-control car for 48 hours or more.

Thoughts?

timba
    Free Member

You don’t need a dual-control car; I’m not sure why you would, hopefully you’ll be solo within an hour of the test 🙂
    Suitable car linky

DirectLine covered my son for lessons/test in his car without a problem. I just checked with them, and the examiner didn’t query it at all

Make sure that you let your insurance company know that you have passed the test before driving because your circumstances have changed, some companies charge an additional premium (DirectLine didn’t)

poly
    Free Member

Have you had any lessons in the UK? Whilst you might be jut as good at driving as everyone else round here – it doesn’t mean you’d actually pass a UK driving test.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I kind of want to agree with poly.

I had to retake my test after driving for 10 years on a non-UK license. I had driven a lot in those 10 years. I had had a accident in that time that made me slow down and pay more attention to my driving. I failed my retake badly.

Had a lesson. The instructor gave me no guidance other than “rebook your test immediately”. I passed with two minors.

So it goes.

nealglover
    Free Member

Book some lessons, take test in driving school car and be covered by their insurance.

simmy
    Free Member

In terms of what actually happens at the Test Centre, the examiner will not ask to see any paperwork regarding your insurance.

All they want is a signature to say that the vehicle is insured and that you have been a resident normally in the UK for at least 180 days in the last 12 months.

They just take your word that the car is insured.

They used to check the tax disc was in date but obviously since they went, they just assume the car is taxed….

nealglover
    Free Member

Simmy, are you suggesting he doesn’t bother with insurance ?

simmy
    Free Member

Not at all Neal, just saying he doesn’t need to weigh himself down with paperwork on the day.

The will hit the fan if there is an accident and the OP is not insured and the examiner sues him.

One examiner tried suing a instructor because his candidate did the emergency stop too well. Examiner said nothing on the day, but the instructor got a letter a few weeks later saying he was being sued for whiplash 😯

It happens all the time on test day, candidate doesn’t read the conformation e mail correctly, comes out of house with passport, birth certificate, kitchen sink, great aunt Mabel’s ashes….. 😀 Just gets them stressed when they get there and they have all the paperwork set out and the examiner says ” don’t need to see all that ”

Just need provisional licence, or full licence if they have full motorbike licence, and the theory pass certificate.

CraigW
    Free Member

There’s a few companies that do short-term insurance for learner drivers. Might be easier/cheaper than changing your regular policy. eg Marmalade. https://www.wearemarmalade.co.uk/

Cougar

Why don’t you take your test in whatever it is you normally drive?

For the cost of hire / insurance, you might be better off going with an instructor. The price of lessons includes insurance (and it’ll probably be a good idea anyway, even if you’re a Driving God™ that doesn’t mean you can necessarily drive in a manner which will pass a UK test).

krixmeister

Definitely hope to take some lessons – as I know I have some bad habits that would preclude me from passing the test. Interestingly – none of the driving instructors I’ve reached out to (two+ months in advance) are interested in doing a few lessons, then possibly (or even possibly not – I’ve tried both approaches!) letting me use their car. I suspect they would prefer to have a nice big block-booking from a proper first time learner.

Anyway – huge thanks for all the tips, especially @CraigW re Marmalade

ji
    Free Member

My daughter found admiral cheaper than marmalade for learner insurance. Just don’t drive the car once you’ve passed as its only valid for learners.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Insurance for driving test?’ is closed to new replies.