• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by aP.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • insurance for custom builds
  • bonj
    Free Member

this has probably been done before – sorry, but I’m just looking to get some insurance as my bikes aren’t covered on the house insurance – and they’re all custom builds.

Quality of claim process is my main criteria – ideally, any (godforbidden) incident would be followed by submission of receipts followed by a simple cheque being issued, no messing around.
    My worst nightmare is weeks and weeks of haggling and arguing with thick call centre workers about why an off the peg shitter from halfords doesn’t represent restoring me to the position i was in.
    So any experience you’ve had that relates to the above, would be gratefully received…ideally good, but ‘steer clear’ warnings also gratefully appreciated…

Thanks

titusrider
    Free Member

CTC insurance partners have been quite good with me, my claim was dealt with in the UK by people I could contact, not perfect as they needed some chasing but i was probly being impatient!!

are fine dealing with custom builds i had to get a shop valuation for one but the other they didnt need one.

http://www.cyclecover.org.uk/

Might seam expensive if ur used to home insurance addin style cover

titusrider
    Free Member

oh and I could choose where i got the bike replacement from, however be careful you need to get the replacement quoteation from the shop you want to buy from

infradig
    Free Member

Just claimed for theft for a custom build with M&S. They use Wheelies to first value and then replace if you don’t opt for cash (less 18% of the valuation). Wheelies are very slow (only one guy does the custom build valuations), but M&S were excellent chasing things up. I supplied pictures and a detailed list of all parts and RRP’s. I had cash deposited in 2 weeks.

M&S are now AXA so I think all AXA claims are similarly processed.

tim41
    Free Member

One thing I’ve done to back up the receipts is to take lots of photos, i.e side on views then close ups of every component. When you change components take more photos, so as to keep an accurate and up to date record of condition and value.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Got my Titus El Guapo (near £5K to replace as is) with Esure. Obviously told them what it is, what its worth and given the frame numbers. Then keep every reciept you can (and photocopy them) and as everyone says just take lots and lots of photos and keep copies of them. Just in case its your house that gets screwed and the feckers take you PC 😉

aP
    Free Member

We’re with M&S and they replaced a custom built 853 frame and forks, stem, bars, ergos, seatpost when my other.5 barrelled down the road on it when a pedestrian ran out in front of her. They attempted to do it through wheelies but when they were told that it was a custom built frame a cheque for the full value arrived the next week.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘insurance for custom builds’ is closed to new replies.