Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Insulin Pumps
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I’ve been religiously carb counting for 3 months and I’m now in the habit of doing so (it’s become ‘automatic’) and thinking about a pump, but undecided. There must be a few people here with them so how do you find them, particularly with sports activities and especially riding.

I like the idea of not having to carry around pens and needles, but does the pump get in the way? Where do you stash the pump while riding? What about when running, other sports? I’m off to a badminton match later. No idea where I’d stash it for that and likely to be playing for 90 mins to an hour, so guess unplugging it wouldn’t be an option?

What about at night? Does the pump and the canular (yes, probably spelt that incorrectly!) get in the way?

looking for real world experience to help me decide.

Anybody go pump then change their mind and go back to old school injections?

brokensoul
    Free Member

You get used to it being there, so if it gets in the way you just move it automatically.
    They’re a bit more robust than you’d imagine, I think I’ve managed to break 4 clips in the 2 and a bit years I’ve had mine, Medtronic send me a new clip out when I need one. (I keep one spare, just in case).
    On the bike, I clip mine to my bib short brace, the rest of the time, it’s on my trousers/shorts waist band. So for your badminton match, you’d clip it to your shorts.
    In bed, ’cause I’m old, I can clip it to my jimjam waist band.

HTH

brokensoul
    Free Member

Oh, did you mean “get in the way – 😉 ?)

Just pull the cannula off. Put another one in later.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Well the “get in the way bit” probably won’t apply as I know you can take them off for an hour, which is a bit ambitious!

Northwind

I thought it’d be annoying and occasionally unpleasant. It was, so I gave it back.

It’s worth looking into and a lot of people are very happy with it but it’s not for everyone. And tbh, I felt like I was given a wee bit of a hard-sell.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Bump for the day crowd

fenred
    Free Member

Been using a pump for 3.5 years now, wouldn’t go back to MDI as my control is much, much better on the pump.
    Mine always lives in my pocket with a little hole cut and I just thread the line through, this goes for riding or whatever. It takes a little getting used to to get your basal rates dialled and the infusion set will feel strange for a while but I really have no issues and the freedom of not having to lug pens etc around plus the tighter control is a total win for me personally.

On the bike I find it particularly good as the basal levels can be lowered incrementally from 0-100% so you can just tweak as neccesary after testing your BM whilst out on the trail.

Feel free to email (in profile) if you want more detailed info.

tomhoward

What northwind said. But I’ve never got as far as trying it. I’m very happy with using pens and my control is good so if it aint broke….

votchy
    Free Member

Been on a pump for around 3.5yrs too, and as fenred states I would never go back to MDI. No issues with it getting in the way for anything, goes in the pocket of my trousers at work, pocket of my shorts when riding, they are quite tough (regularly have technical dabs and comedy dismounts up to and including several broken ribs) and although not rated as waterproof mine has got soaked on several occasions without harm. The ability to make minute adjustments to basal and bolus rates combined with carb counting makes control on rides easy to manage (takes a bit of time to work things out through trial and error). Overall it is the single best thing I have done in the management of my diabetes and , although not for everyone (one downside being that you have a constant reminder of your diabetes as it is attached 24/7, something that seems to be a psychological issue to some), would recommend it to anyone considering it. Feel free to mail me if you want to know more.
    Does your PCT have the ability to give you a pump to trial that contains saline rather than insulin? This could give you an idea of what wearing one feels like.

Dr_Bakes

tomhoward – Member
    What northwind said. But I’ve never got as far as trying it. I’m very happy with using pens and my control is good so if it aint broke….

+ another 1.

I’m lucky to have good control and, while it’s been offered in the past, I’ve never fancied trying one. The only benefit I can see for me would be discretion when doing an ‘injection’.

The improvement I’m waiting for is a viable continuous blood glucose monitor option, so that I can tell what my sugars are without a separate test. I know they are available but at the moment they’re unreliable and prohibitively expensive.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Thanks all. Interesting comments and as I suspected, it’s something of a ‘Marmite’ thing

midwales
    Free Member

Our 5 year old son was put onto a pump back in August, so much easier for us and the school to control his sugar levels. Takes the worry away from the school as all the carb/insulin calcs are down by the pump

HantsNightRider
    Free Member

My wife has been using one for 8 years and would highly recommend it.
    Start exercise with a snack or slightly high blood sugar. For short intense exercise, definitely unplug, test half way through if unsure, you can plug it back in for a couple of minutes and take a bolus if necessary.
    For cycling, extra long tubes are available, ask the supplier for them. Put cannula in stomach, and run tube through arm hole and put pump in back pocket. You can get neoprene pouches, which will cushion any impact.
    Whilst cycling use a temporary basal rate to lower insulin rate.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Insulin Pumps’ is closed to new replies.