• This topic has 11 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Sui.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • insulating single block wall (on the cheap)?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

ok, can this be done…

we have a 1940’s extension on our house thats built from single 30cm thick block, it is mind-numbingly freezing even though the ceiling space is insulated to very high amounts.

i’ve got to do someting about it, especially as the upstairs room is my office and i can’t bear the thought of having to spend another winter in there, but we have very little spare cash.

my thinking is to add a layer of insulation to the inside wall then batten and plasterboard over, in the future i’d be looking to use high quality insulation but for now can anyone recommend a thin and cheap way of insulating?

mikey74
    Free Member

You could use one of the Gyproc insulated plaster board lining systems.

mikey74
    Free Member

90mm of their Thermaline Super would give you a U-Value of 0.22 when fixed to brickwork. When applied to blocks their values are based on the wall being rendered both sides.

The performance on blocks will depend on the density and thermal conductivity of your existing blocks. Give Gyproc a ring to confirm the required specification.

project
    Free Member

3 INCH by 2 inch cls screwe to wall at 16 inch centres , then fill voids with recycled plastic bottle insulation, good for ther environmnet and does itch, then cover with plasterboard .and paint, worked for me.

Gorehound
    Free Member

50mm metal studwork rockwoll and plasterboard is probably the quickest way of doing it. a hell of a lot quicker than timber stud walling or blockwork IME.

geoffj

Kingspan or Celotex seconds – http://www.secondsandco.co.uk/

Holyzeus
    Free Member

The Celotex/Kingspan route might be dearer but it’ll be the best insulation

Murr
    Free Member

as above kingspan will give you best insulation it is dearer or you can go for 100 mm or 70mm rock wool slabs between framing then use foil backed plasterboard the foil back will give you the vapour barrier that you will need .

Stoner
    Free Member

Would the design of the extension lend itself to 100mm of external insulation behind say a featherboard cladding? Usually its the roof eaves that are the problem, but it would do wonders to get insulation on the outside of the thermal mass.

sas78

You’ll need a vapour check too, with the risk of interstitial condensation being high (condensation in the wall causing damp). Fit vapour check plasterboard.

Cheers
    Scott

mikey74
    Free Member

Gyproc Thermaline has a vapour control layer built in.

Sui
    Free Member

geoffj – Member
    Kingspan or Celotex seconds – http://www.secondsandco.co.uk/

bloooooooooooooooooooddddddyyyyyyy hell, i’ve just bought a load boards for £45 quid each and this place turns up on the radar….:(

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘insulating single block wall (on the cheap)?’ is closed to new replies.