Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Insulating loft advice
  • Blackhound

I moved house a while ago and the loft insulation is up to joist level. I am buying some 170mm deep insulation to take it up to the recommended 270mm but my problem is solutions for boarding it out.

I have got some 4″x2″ or 100mm lengths which I can screw down to the current joists but this would still squash down the insulation which I believe is not a good idea. Wickes have some 175mm platforms but that would be very expensive.

So what cheapish solutions are out there? Just want to board out a bit for storing my camping stuff plus stuff that will ‘come in useful one day’

Martin.B
    Free Member

I would lay some cross struts (using your 4×2) to raise the board platform height(would put them across the joists)
    Then get some insulation board like Kingspan (high rating but thinner) and cut to size to fit inbetween the cross struts
    Use the money you save on the wicks platform stuff to justtify the extra spend on the Kinspan. Should do the job nicely 🙂

Blackhound

Cheers Martin. Will have a look at the Kingspan stuff. Have already started with cross struts with the 4×2 based on insulation rolls.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Blackhound

Double post

nickjb
    Free Member

You can get away with just filling between your 2×4 cross pieces. You can use kingspan which will be better but 100mm of fibreglass + 18mm chipboard + old carpet + a load of junk camping equipment will give you quite a reasonable level of insulation. Don’t block the eaves ventilation!

molgrips
    Free Member

Your loft is shit.

Oh wait, I think I mis-read the title.

footflaps

You can get brackets to lift the flooring up above the joists – Toolstation sell them:

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Insulating loft advice’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts