Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Insulating a single skin garage
  • skiprat
    Free Member

We moved house a year ago and our new place has a brick single skin garage with a wood/felt roof. Things in the garage got damp over last winter, not through leaks but just the cold air hanging about.

The roof needs renewing soon so i’ll be looking to put a pitched roof on it and insulating between the woodwork.

Question is what to do with the walls? The floor is concrete but i’m not sure how thick so don’t know if it would take a block inner wall or should i look at the slabs of Kingspan with plasterboard attached and fix to battens?

Also looking to improve the air flow in there too as its currently just the gap under the garage door

jimdubleyou

Bookmarking for later…

Sundayjumper

Bookmarking for later…

+1

wwaswas

I’d look at putting a ‘warm roof’ on the garage if you’re insulating – insulating between the rafters means you have to try and seal the whole ceiling to stop condensation forming problems.

If the walls are dry I’d go with a kingspan lining but maybe leave an air gap between it and the wall+top and bottom to give a bit of air circulation and avoid damp issues.

Pu t a few air bricks in top and bottom to encourage air flow.

Also insulate the garage door.

Problem is every time you insulate a buildign like that it’s a battle to achieve a good thermal insulation and at the same tiem avodi condensation and damp issues.

You could do less airflow and then run a dehumidifier in there to keep moisture levels down.

maccruiskeen

Things in the garage got damp over last winter, not through leaks but just the cold air hanging about.

Insulating it won’t make any heat magically appear inside. If it doesn’t already have one – maybe just fit a window on the sunniest side of the building – even in the winter you’ll get a bit of solar gain – warm the fabric of the building up an bit and drive out some of the cold damp air.

Or if you’re refitting the roof anyway include a skylight.

footflaps

Our workshop is single skin concrete block. It’s insulated / vapour sealed using Celotex on the inside. The panels are foil taped together to form a complete vapour barrier. Dry as a bone inside and heats up quickly in winter.

njee20
    Free Member

I put insulated plasterboard in ours, didn’t want to lose too much width, so I bonded it straight to the wall with no battons, put in a plasterboard ceiling and put a load of loft insulation in too. Worked really well.

stumpyjon

I lined my single skin with polythene sheet fixed with 50 batons. Filled the void with loft insulation type fibre and then finished with 12mm ply. Ply makes it very easy to attach things to the walls. A couple of low level tubular heaters keep the temp up during the winter. My brickwork was incredibly porous though hence the polythene liner.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Insulating a single skin garage’ is closed to new replies.