Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Insulate my shed
  • womp
    Free Member

Can i just put kingspan in-between the frame and board over with ply board ?

or do i need to staple a waterproof membrane down first ?

alexpalacefan

I’d go in this order,
    Interior,
    Plyboard,
    vapour control barrier (stapled to superstructure)
    Insulation between superstructure timbers,
    Outer cladding.

I hope that helps,

Alex

tiggs121
    Free Member

Rockwool in between the studs would also be ok. Cheaper than Kingspan/Celotex/Recticel etc …but not as warm!

spacemonkey

Interesting as I’m looking to do similar with our summerhouse early next year.

Does the vapour control barrier definitely go between insulation and ply? I’ve read posts on other forums/sites where people have put it on the ‘outside’ of the insulation.

footflaps

If you use Celotex etc then it has a built in foil VP which you tape up with Aluminium foil, so no need for another VP. Celotex etc are also closed cell foam, so impervious to water…

dmorts

Does the vapour control barrier definitely go between insulation and ply? I’ve read posts on other forums/sites where people have put it on the ‘outside’ of the insulation.

Vapour control layer goes inside of insulation.

What you’ve seen is a breather membrane (like Tyvek) on the outside, under the cladding

spacemonkey

Ah yes, Tyvek was what I was thinking of.

Am thinking of using Celotex also, unless it turns out silly expensive.

Ta chaps

globalti
    Free Member

Amazing stuff, my son’s computer now keeps his bedroom warm when he’s playing computer games and working the chip hard.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Am thinking of using Celotex also, unless it turns out silly expensive.

I came across a website once that sold used/odd sized celotex/kingspan, was way cheaper and perfect for a shed.

squirrelking
    Free Member

^ Kingspanseconds

spacemonkey

I came across a website once that sold used/odd sized celotex/kingspan, was way cheaper and perfect for a shed.

^ Kingspanseconds

Awesome. Never thought of looking for seconds. Cheers

granny_ring

I ended up using 75mm Rockwool slabs for the walls, but I cocked up not doing anything with the roof before I put ply sheets and felt down.
    Don’t make the same mistake!

freeagent
    Free Member

I bought a pallet of Kingspan seconds when I built my shed.
    I got enough to line the walls and roof of a 15m2 shed for just over £100.

granny_ring

How did you go about insulating the roof freeagent?

andyl
    Free Member

making a note of that kingspan seconds

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Your shed is crap!

Oh, sorry, misread title 😳

freeagent
    Free Member

How did you go about insulating the roof freeagent?

The shed has a pent roof, which is constructed from 150mm x 50mm structural timber.
    I lined the inside with 1/2″ stirling/OSB board, then working from the outside I dropped pieces of 25mm Celotex in between the timbers, covered this with 125mm of rockwool, then covered the whole lot in galvanised corrugated steel sheet.
    So basically it has 150mm of insulation in it.

bigG
    Free Member

I did this earlier in the summer, I bought a pallet of kingspan / celotex from seconds.co.uk. here Still cost me in excess of £200 to insulate it though.

If you’re near Stirling I have a couple of spare sheets you can have for free.

granny_ring

Cheers free, Got a pent roof too but I cocked up as I put the ply on top of the joists as I thought it would be useful to hang things of them.
    Put insulation boards on underside of the ply and got bad condensation to had to take it out and sell for a big loss!

singlesman
    Free Member

For insulation purposes might also be worth considering Tri-iso super 10, (now supreceded by super 12). Much quicker and nicer to use than celotex, comes on a roll, cuts with scissors. Staple to your framework, counter batten and your done.
    Think it’s about 30mm thick but insulates as well as 200mm of rockwool.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

What’s the collectives view on using Polystyrene sheets for the insulation rather instead of Kingspan/Celotex?

Todchester
    Free Member

Check local activity centers you have to renew bouncy aids every 7 years or so (wn thay look tired) and thay have to throw them out and distort them. Not the foam tho wich in many cases Is tural rating and grate insulation.

Todchester
    Free Member

Thermal even

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Insulate my shed’ is closed to new replies.