Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Insulate & Carpet My Van
  • grantway
    Free Member

Hi I know ive read a few threads but now got the spare
    dosh to insulate and carpet the rear of th van.
    Can you help on what materials to buy and pictures of the works
    carried out.
    Also I want to put in a roof vent and a blacked out side glass
    window on the sliding door.

Any help and advise welcome Thank you.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Check out megavanmats in pudsey, Leeds. Mark is a top bloke and can supply all the bits you need for the job. Also very good for advice.

grantway
    Free Member

Thast a shame im in London

meehaja
    Free Member

http://www.megavanmats.com/ Good people, never realised they were in Leeds though… could have saved on postage!

I recently insulated. lined and carpeted my van, I don't know what you drive but here's what I did with my empty panel van (1982 VW transporter)

the load area had grooves (to stop a load moving around) I filled these with cheap carpet mat glued to the floor (works as sound deadening, insulates and levels the floor to prevent soft spots. I then laid 5mm ply down, and screwed to the floor to prevent buzzing. On top of this I put 3mm carpet underlay, then generic kitchen Lino.

Over the back of the van (where the engine is) I laid 5mm thick underlay, then rubber backed carpet. (this reduces the noise massively!)

For the walls/ doors I glued silver reflective insulation sheeting direct to the metal (you can buy expensive auto stuff but it looks exactly the same as the cheap stuff from hardware stores), covering as much of the metal work as possible, with the idea of reflecting heat generated back into the van rather than into the metal and off outside. I then laid a thin (maybe 1 inch thick) layer of household insulation foam (made from fire retardent fibre!) on top, making sure there was room for air to circulate (don't stuff it to the brim) Again, cheap hardware store stuff will be fine, but try to make sure it wont hold water, else you are creating rust traps against the metal and then hiding it!)

I then fixed 3mm fibre board over this (most people swear by ply, but my van had cut outs for wood lining and all the ply I found was too thick and wouldn't bend as well). I then carpeted over this with cheap black carpet (aldi boot liner no less!)

The van is now toasty warm! and much quieter than it was (important in an aircooled van!)

As for windows and vents, how confident are you at cutting big holes in your van? Perfect measurement, good seals and no changing your mind. Personally I'd pay someone else to do it, because I'm cack handed and pretty rubbish at stuff like this and i'd ruin my van, however, if you are confident and accurate it is quite easy and many places sell kits etc.

hope that helps!

tron
    Free Member

Some kind of foam covered by something heavy. That's what the car makers do. Normally a foam or felt underlay with rubber sheeting over the top.

grantway
    Free Member

Hi meeaja I have a Vauxaull Vivaro and has two side loading doors.
    Regarding the cut outs that will be done by a company
    Will have to take a look at Aldi and see if they have some of the
    rubber matting, I know some guys have used the heat reflective foam
    board with silver foil attached too.

What adesive did you use for sticking the carpet to the metal.

NZCol

Have a look on the Brick Yard forum – heaps of great info on there (its VW specific but advice on some stuff is generic)

spooky_b329

Just got to that stage with mine, ply lined and then used 120 degree spray adhesive to stick trunkliner trim on. Its 3mm thick stretchy carpet so it won't ripple on uneven surfaces, not tried it myself but apparently it will stretch enough to go into the window recesses without cutting.

Got it from http://www.as-trim.co.uk

You should take a look at the forum on SBMCC.co.uk, you can have a look round and post up to 10 times, then you need to cough up £15 to join. But you get discounts on insurance, window fitting, general parts from loads of suppliers…not as-trim yet unfortunately! Plus loads of advice on everything you might want to do to the van.

If you are just doing a basic conversion to carry bikes and not adding furniture, cut the ply to size, carpet and then fix into the van, as this way you can remove it without writing off the carpet if you decide to insulate or add another window later.

Edit: Missed the bit on insulating, definitely go take a look at the forum as there are many options, each with its problem. For example, fibreglass, is likely fall to the bottom behind the ply and absorb any moisture in the air, and rot your van from the inside out. Spray foam is the best as it sticks to the van, won't absorb water and has very good insulation values, but budget £250 DIY (I regret doing it DIY) or £350ish for a professional job. (this foam is nothing like the spray can stuff)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Currently following the transporter method(ish) from this post I started On Here

jedi

i just got a roll of off cut rubber backed carpet and cut it to fit in 5mins

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Here's a few tips too
    http://www.benzworld.org/forums/2404726-post2.html

The flashing tape is very similar to the stuff OEMs add to damp panels like bonnets. A good covering is cheap and effective.

I used foam backed carpet from a normal carpet supplier and high temp spray adhesive.

Don't forget the front door bottoms as well as the back compartment.

geoffj

Have a look here, but Kingspan (or cheaper copies), 6mm ply and cord carpet are your friends.

http://sbmcc.co.uk/forum/

grantway
    Free Member

Cheers thanks for all the info and will start to
    check for installing some electrical sockets too.

trailmoggy
    Free Member

what colour carper are you after i have some darkish brown automotive needlecord carpet at work you can have, i'm in Wigan, you need 1/8" – 3mm plywood and spray glue is easiest, you should'nt really need insulation but anything that fits in the gap will do, i'm a coachtrimer by trade btw and do this sort of thing for a living

trailmoggy@hotmail.co.uk

grantway
    Free Member

Hi Trailmoggy sorry for late responce
    Im in London so cant get to you BUT thank you
    for the offer
    Cheers mate 😉

taxi25
    Free Member

+3 for Megavanmats but don't forget the spray glue !! I used about 10cans doing mine.

thomthumb
    Free Member

rember that you need a vapour barrier. if you are going to sleep in the van you WILL produce a lot of condesation. if this gets into your insulation it will rot your van away.

I despair for all those sheep wool insulated vans.

grantway
    Free Member

Thomthumb what would the vapour barrier be.IE what type of material

boxelder

I've got pre-cut sheets of plywood for lining a short wheelbase VW T5. Free to collect near Whinlatter, if of use to anyone? Also got a two piece steel bulk head in black – again free to collect?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Insulate & Carpet My Van’ is closed to new replies.