Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Instant porridge
  • CountZero

I have no proper kitchen facilities at work and no desire to carry a packed lunch box with a flask of porridge, so I buy the instant “Just Add Boiling Water” stuff in little tubs.

Surely the little travel food containers aren’t much bigger than the pots of porridge you buy?
    The cheap ones in Morrison’s aren’t that big or cumbersome.
    Found this ten quid Asda one.
    http://direct.asda.com/george/george-home/thermos-thermocafe-barrel-food-flask/001433958,default,pd.html

GrahamS

Yeah but with the pots I can nip along to Poundland one lunchtime and buy a dozen pots for six quid then that’s it done.
    No need to carry anything in or do any washing up.

Admittedly I do feel a bit of an Eco-terrorist throwing out a plastic pot every day – so that might be enough to persuade me to mend my ways. One day.

CountZero

Good point, atcherly. Difficult to argue against that.
    And the plastic is recycleable…

LHS
    Free Member

Dorset Cereals porridge pouches. That’s what you need. Can vouch for the honey ones and just adding hot water from kettle works great.

kcr
    Free Member

If you don’t have access to heat, try eating your porridge as muesli instead. Cheap own-brand porridge oats with whatever you fancy mixed in, e.g. seeds, nuts, dried fruit (raisins, apricots, dates, etc).
    Mix up a big batch in advance, and just take what you need to work each day, with a flask of milk.

I think “Instant” porridge is a rip off; selling a very cheap and nutritious staple at a premium by packaging it in wee sachets.

13thfloormonk

I think “Instant” porridge is a rip off; selling a very cheap and nutritious staple at a premium by packaging it in wee sachets

I disagree, once I had detonated my nth bowl of porridge in the microwave at work, buying the little sachets and just pouring hot water over them (with sultanas and maple syrup for flavour) has been a godsend.

I have neither patience nor imagination enough for anything else in the morning…

Drac

I think you’ve just proved kcr right.

batfink
    Free Member

As has been said: Bircher muesli. Make a jumbo tub of it at the beginning of the week and then just take it to work in a tub and eat cold.

Rolled oats
    Add a handful of fruit, nuts and seeds
    Yogurt
    Apple juice

leave to soak overnight.

eightyeight
    Free Member

Thanks all (apart from maybe Drac….).

Porlus – I’m going to give that a crack, thanks! If that fails I might try some of the lower budgeted manufactured guff suggested.

For whoever was asking about my work situation, I work in the centre of town so I have other access to hot food. Also I don’t work for a big employer, there are two of us.

user-removed
    Free Member

No need to carry anything in or do any washing up.

Assuming you eat it with your hands…

I disagree, once I had detonated my nth bowl of porridge in the microwave at work

I’m struggling to understand how someone could “detonate” their porridge more than once. I bet you burn salad and pot noodles too… 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Out the box thinking give up on porridge and eat muesli.

13thfloormonk

I’m struggling to understand how someone could “detonate” their porridge more than once. I bet you burn salad and pot noodles too…

I figured out (through messy trial and error) that the works microwave was so powerful that I needed about 6 or 7 twenty second blasts followed by stirring to cook the porridge (proper oats, milk) without it bubbling over and coating the inside of the microwave. By this stage I was so sick of the process that I was glad to pay the $7 for 8 servings that Quaker charges.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Almonds and sultanas or pumpkin seeds + sultanas for me. Delicious.

Made at work with boiling water.

Drac

Thanks all (apart from maybe Drac….).

You’re welcome.

GrahamS

Assuming you eat it with your hands…

Spoon just gets a quick rinse with boiling water next time I go for a coffee. No pan, spirtle or bowl to wash.

porlus
    Free Member

Porlus – I’m going to give that a crack, thanks! If that fails I might try some of the lower budgeted manufactured guff suggested.

Not a problem bud. Let us know how you get on with it.
    I like to thicken mine with a dollop of peanut butter. Actually makes a good pre ride meal as well.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Instant porridge’ is closed to new replies.