Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Installing SLX 11 speed cassette – is it possible to rotate the parts wrongly?!
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

So, my SLX cassette fits on my hub in several positions, not just one like the old XT one did (maybe an over accommodating hub, I dont know…). I’m not convinced I’ve rotated all of the rings identically to how they were in the box, is that going to matter? Do they need to line up correctly to allow the shifting to work correctly?

thanks

simonhuscroft
    Free Member

All the shifting ramps generally follow on from each other in a line from top to bottom. If you have a nosy at images on google that should give you a good idea how they should go together.

DezB
    Free Member

Although, if the ramps on one sprocket are out of line with the ramps on another sprocket, can’t see it effecting shifting really. It’s only to guide the chain up one jump. I think all the sprocket size numbers normally line up if you want to get it perfect.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I tried to link the sprocket size numbers, but it doesnt seem to follow in an exact line for all 11 rings, even though I have multiple choices for each. I’ll look at an image and/or try it out. Thanks

wwaswas

shoudl llook like this;

If you look inside there’s normally one wider notch in the cassette body?

DezB
    Free Member

Funny looking wheel

teethgrinder

If you look inside there’s normally one wider notch in the cassette body?

That, and there’s a thin spline as well. Fairly sure you can’t get it wrong, unless the freehub body splines are FUBAR.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Normally there is a “master spline” on Shimano freehub bodies and cassettes / sprockets so you can only fit them on in one particular way. Seems odd that you can fit it in multiple different ways.

jam-bo

i had a transition hub where you could get it wrong.

i know this because I got it wrong and my shifting was terrible and my gears hopped around and slipped all over the place until I figured it out.

Mister-P
    Free Member

A friend of mine had a weird freehub body where you could mount the cassette wrongly, ie without the shift ramps in the right places. Easily rectified by lining up the large / small spline on the sprockets as you put them onto the freehub body though.

Edit – posted at the same time as Jambo.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Thanks – makes sense to line up the cassette off the hub first, then install all 3 rings in one go (what I should have done in the first place, but wasnt expecting the thing to be so nadgery) having only dealt with SRAM 11 speed cassettes before

bigyinn
    Free Member

Sounds like its the freehub rather than the cassette causing the issue TBH.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Installing SLX 11 speed cassette – is it possible to rotate the parts wrongly?!’ is closed to new replies.