Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Installing new XT brakes. Help?!
  • Edraket
    Free Member

Hiya all,
    I’ve just got in a new XT groupset from CRC and installed everything with no issues. Except the brakes came with the hoses unattached. They are attached to the calipers and have lids on them so I’m assuming they have oil inside. The levers have little yellow shims in and lids where the hose attaches. No further information provided. There’s also no barb or olive in the packaging.

I have very little experience with hydraulic brakes since most of my riding was in the days of bar ends and v-brakes. So kind of at a loss as to how to proceed.

Googling around for tips on installation comes up with little information as it seems the brakes tend to come attached. (Which is what I was expecting to be honest)
    Hope anyone can give me some tips or point me towards the right information.
    Thanks!
    Eddy

jbirch
    Free Member

I’m amazed they didn’t come with any instructions but thems the J-Kit type.

This is for the road version but it’s the same process, it’s nothing tricky.

cdoc
    Free Member

I would have expected them to be preassembled, unless otherwise stated.
    You could try to reconnect them, but after shipping like that it is unlikely that you will get away without a bleed. unusual not to get an olive either.

I would send them back, personally. It could be that they have been returned and someone else disconnected them to fit their internal routing.
    Not worth the chance if bought as new.

thebadabing

Send them back, I got mine from crc and they were attached.

scotroutes

That’s the risk you face in buying from the brown box/grey market retailers.

Edraket
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, Jbirch’s advice did the trick. Feeling hopeful I’ll be able to catch some sunrays on my freshly kitted out bike today. I’ll have to shorten the hoses still but I’ll leave that for a rainy day.
    I kind of figured it would be something like this but just needed to be sure before I removed anything and accidentally let the oil run out of my brakes.

Just wanted to note that CRC has been really helpful otherwise as I botched some other things in my order and they were prompt to help me sort it out and offered me a discount even on some extra parts I needed. So pretty happy with their service.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@jbirch if you delete the s from https you can post using the video link

This is useful for me as I have a box of bits inc xt brakes from crc for a project (I do think they are attacjed though, when I looked at them 18 months ago 😳 )

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Installing new XT brakes. Help?!’ is closed to new replies.