• This topic has 19 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by mrmo.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Installing new windows
  • SaxonRider

We just had Anglian Windows around to do a quote on installing double glazing with timber frames throughout the house. Then I went on moneysavingexpert.com and saw mixed experiences both of Anglian but also a whole host of window installers.

Does anyone have any experience of getting double glazing, and therefore any advice on what I should be asking/looking for?

I can’t believe (according to the stories I have read online) just how much can go wrong, and how badly people can get ripped off!

Please help.

druidh
    Free Member

And I was just going to suggest re-formatting the drive 😥

project
    Free Member

Windows can and are a nightmare, worked for a chap who had 2 bay windows taken out, they forgot to support the upper floor when they took the gf windows out, and alos forgot to put the steel pipes in the corners to take the weight of the upper floor, result both sets of windows buckled out and couldnt be closed.

Then there is poor sealing of the glazing, and deliberate puncturing of seals, so they steam up after a few months, non security beads that pop out, and so does the glass.

and lots more, go for personal recomendation, and visit the houses involved,and never ever accept the first price they give you.

Sonor
    Free Member

I’ve just had nine windows replaced in my house(not timber). I had five different companies come round, one was stupid cheap and a bit vague, and Anglian quoted £19k! They then went through the usual crap of “we have a special deal on”, and “I’ll talk to my manager…we can give another two grand off” etc, etc. They still came in £3k over what three of the others were quoting.

Once I had told Anglian we weren’t going to use them and who we were going with, they did nothing but slag them off.

There are a lot of small glazing companies out there at the moment, who don’t have the overheads the larger companies such as Anglian have, so it’s very competitive market. Choosing one is a different matter, I chose one because a neighbour had their windows done by the same company two years ago, so I popped in to see how they were holding up.

I’m very pleased with the quality. What part of the world are you from?

SaxonRider

Cardiff.

Sonor
    Free Member

Ah, I don’t think the company I use venture out of South London and Surrey.

My sister had timber replacement windows, but once again very London focused company.

Are there any friends/relatives/neighbours who have had replacement windows recently? Even if they are UPVC, a lot of the companies do timber as well.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

A good friend just had his replaced (wood) in Penarth, cracking job I’ll find out who did it for him and post is on this thread in the next 48hrs OK?

SaxonRider

valleydaddy, that would be brilliant.

tomaso
    Free Member

Rehau are good – get a decent local builder to quote fitting them. At least they are builders and not just window fitters.

highclimber
    Free Member

Just avoid the ‘big’ companies like the plague – they include Safestyle, Everest and anglian.

Especially SS as they are the devils advocate.

unovolo
    Free Member

I’d recommend finding a smaller outfit who work off personal recommendations ,rather than multi£ advertising and sales guys that will basically just try and bullsh!t you.
    I had some windows fitted by a local firm and my dad had some done by Safestyle.
    The frames and glass are comparable but the quality of installation are leagues apart.
    The guys I had spent the best part of a day just doing a Box-bay window I have ,safestyle took about the same time to do all the windows and frontdoor at my fathers.

tony24
    Free Member

If your near the south east I would be happy to pop round and have a measure up no silly quotes or ringing the manager as I work for myself. Email is tony18@hotmail.co.uk

pjm84
    Free Member

I used these guys for timber windows on a commercial project a few years back and was really impressed with the quality.

http://www.rationel.co.uk/

piha
    Free Member

pjm84 – Member

I used these guys for timber windows on a commercial project a few years back and was really impressed with the quality.

http://www.rationel.co.uk/

This company do produce decent quality windows but will only supply, not install. Rationel have “approved installers” but some of the A.I’s are better than others. Rationel are part of VKR group that also include Velux and Velfac, both of which produce good quality products but don’t install.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I was told there are only two companies in the UK who make the PVC extrusion used in modern double glazed windows. Rehau are one and I can’t remember the other. Window makers like Anglia buy the extrusion and make the windows up to suit. So, you are basically buying the same product whichever installer you buy it from.
    I had quotes ranging from £1300 to £6500 for my windows. I went with the £1300 one and i’m perfectly happy with what i ended up with.

r17anm
    Free Member

Ive been a window fitter for 13 years and also time served joiner and would agree with avoiding the big companies cos there full of sh** smaller local recomended companies are the way to go and a good window fitter will do a better job than a builder obviously

RustyMac

+1 for looking localy

I got the glass replaced in all 8 of my windows in my flat by a local company (Crest Glazing in Aberdeen) for just over half the price that some of the big boys quoted for replacing seals. The company did what they said on time and were always very helpfull when i called, can’t say the same for the other companies i called.

Ask around friends, listen to local radio, look in the local paper then phone round them all and get them out to quote. It was pretty obvious to me which companies sent out window fitters and which sent out sales people. It was an easy chioce for me to go with the people who new what they were saying when i asked how they would do the job.

Haze

There’s an approved installer list on the Velfac Direct site, may be worth ringing around some of those if they’re nearby?

Try here

(Direct deal with smaller scale residential stuff as opposed to the larger scale commercial installations)

SaxonRider

valleydaddy:

If you’re out there, is there any chance you able to find out the name of your friend’s window installer in Penarth?

Cheers.

mrmo
    Free Member

I was told there are only two companies in the UK who make the PVC extrusion used in modern double glazed windows. Rehau are one and I can’t remember the other. Window makers like Anglia buy the extrusion and make the windows up to suit. So, you are basically buying the same product whichever installer you buy it from.

More than Two suppliers are available, Rehau, Duraflex, Veka, Euro? and a few others, one thing to be aware of the white colour varies between the manufacturers and you may find that some of the bigger installers have custom extrusions. They will be made by someone else though.

Other things to be aware of, if you go for a non white UPVC the dark colours can if badly installed have issues in direct sunlight. Because the woodgrain finishes are basically suck on the grain will not match a wood door or a GRP composite door as their manufacturing processes and materials are different.

Be very careful about who you choose and the quality of workmanship, first warranties, if the fitter goes bust you can forget about any cover. you want the drain holes to be able to drain, i know it sounds obvious but you may or may not be surprised!! within the upvc are steel sections that have to fitted to the brickwork but if this is done badly the upvc can warp, if you have screws that aren’t flush what can happen as the glass expands in hot weather is that you get a stress raiser and the glass can crack.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Installing new windows’ is closed to new replies.