• This topic has 80 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Dave.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Instagram – why so difficult?
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

With so many millions using IG, why is the UI so naff?

Or is it just me?

robgclarkson
    Free Member

Find it very easy and intuitive tbf… now, snapchat, not a clue what you do

bikebouy
    Free Member

Que?
    Instagram is designed for 4yr olds, by 8yr olds.

HTH’s.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    muddyfunster
    Free Member

bikebouy

by 8yr olds.

Thousands of engineers and scientists, and probably millions of dollars studying human behaviour at the deepest levels. But yeah. Eight year olds.

mattyfez

I don’t really get what it’s for so I figured I don’t need it.

wiggles
    Free Member

I cant even manage twitter…

Im only 26 and I feel old, my 17 year old brother has about 800 ways he communicates with people.

bonesetter
    Free Member

has about 800 ways he communicates with people

lol – all virtual? 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

It’s a pretty cool way of seeing 21yr old girls selfie’ing in the mirror whilst wearing “fashion” items. Though, these images do have to show either a see through blouse or obligatory “leg shot” and inward pointing toes.

Or

It’s a good way of sharing images of like minded sports or activities, tagged so you can see even more of the same shit.

I like the Artists and illustrators, modern art and mega filtered images and children’s book illustrations. There are some very talented Artists willing to share thier works.
    And Surfing photography, epic road riding, gravel bike wiggles and mates who share interesting images.

And 21yr old girls, Obvz.

Endless fun on a Spring evening can be had.

wiggles
    Free Member

lol – all virtual?

Obviously, he is a teenager so verbal communication is non existant

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I love insta, it’s ace, a few mins each day looking at great biking pics and vids, also met lots of good folks through using it.

There’s still some folks that don’t get it though, mainly folk that are used to faceboak. Why have an Instagram account and keep it private? It’s only photo sharing, bugger off back to faceboak.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

What’s Instagram?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Its a cocaine delivery service.

fettlin

Recently started to use IG, great fun finding like minded people.
    Mostly looking at bikes, dogs, art and local stuff.

And 21yr old grls obvs.

Still don’t know how to post pics on here from there though……

godzilla
    Free Member

Are you using it with a PC or smart phone? works best on the latter.

bikebouy
    Free Member

It’s a right buggers muddle if trying to post off a MAC or PC, it’s designed for smartphones and tablets. There are Apps available to copy images, because you can’t do that direct off Insta.

I’ve one word of advice….

Stay clear of “preaching” “life enhancing/motivating” images, you know the sort .. quite why anyone wants to post an image of someone on top of a hill then obliterate the image with the words “one life, live it” is, well, quite beyond me.

geetee1972
    Free Member

The fact that you can only upload via a mobile device is a pain in the ass and is probably the reason it feels so unintuitive.

STATO
    Free Member

The fact that you can only upload via a mobile device is a pain in the ass and is probably the reason it feels so unintuitive.

Like the poster thread yesterday GT, you are showing your age 😆

I reckon the only reason there is a website version is to let news articles link to the pics (clicks mean money *stw 2017) otherwise it would probably be totally app only.

onlysteel
    Free Member

Mystified by Twitter. I really did try. Is Instagram easier, or should a 56yo stick with vellum and quill?

scotroutes

I’m 60 next year and managing to use Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. It’s not an age issue.

wallop

It’s not very ‘instant’ if you have to go home and upload it on your PC, is it? 😆

bencooper
    Free Member

It’s not very ‘instant’ if you have to go home and upload it on your PC, is it?

But that’s where his slide scanner is 😉

wallop

😆

geetee1972
    Free Member

Like the poster thread yesterday GT, you are showing your age

Cheeky **** I’m only 44! 😀

Of course the irony is that the biggest area of growth for film photographers is in the 18-24 age range.

bikebouy
    Free Member

onlysteel – Member
    Mystified by Twitter. I really did try. Is Instagram easier, or should a 56yo stick with vellum and quill?

Well, do you like looking at photos? If so, try it. You can create a private account so you can view and not be viewed. My personal view is don’t link it to any FB account nor Contacts, just use it for either posting images or viewing or both or just viewing.

Rarely do you see tits and such because Insta takes a dim view of the image and poster, and will either obliterate the image or take down the image. You can report posts and if you share your account and get some random “hi, sexy xxxx seeks fit males” requests you just report them and they’re taken down really really quickly.
    So, it’s a safe image hosting/posting site viewable by anyone.

Obviously it’s a bit of a selfie vacuum, but not terribly so. Some folks just like taking photos of locations and interesting stuff, or drawings or flower arrangements, or feet, or Michelangelo’s Davids bottom, or trees or sunsets/sunrises… whatever.

When it first came out I steered well clear, thought it would be full of teenage girls in low cut blouses pouting (sadly that still exists) but it’s matured well, it is a nice platform for an insight to other people’s interests.

Easily installed on smartphones, easily deleted too, easy to set up and you are limited in what you view by your own imagination.

the-muffin-man

Mystified by Twitter. I really did try.

Me too! Never quote got Twitter – just seems a mess.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Well, do you like looking at photos? I

Instagram is about the last place to look if you appreciate photography. It’s primarily a show place for social media vacuousness but sadly it is the most popular channel currently and the one you will get the most visbility through.

Flickr or 500px will give you a better aesthetic experience.

wallop

You obviously aren’t looking in the right places 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

I think Insta is awesome and much more positive than other platforms (including this forum, obvs).

That’s probably just my social media vacuousness talking though.

chakaping
    Free Member
    DezB
    Free Member

Funny this – my son uses it. Had to drop him to friends the other day “Have you got their address?” I ask. “It’s on Instagram” says he, “Just swipe left, blah de blah, find his name, wibble wibble, address there.” Cool, says the 30odd years in IT nerd bloke. Could I find this address? Found a pic of a pouting teenage girl and a bequiffed footballer doing keepy-uppys, but his mate’s address? 😕

geetee1972
    Free Member

You obviously aren’t looking in the right places

You’re almost certainly right. I really struggle to find decent work to follow on Instagram.

If you can point me in the right direction I would be genuinely very grateful.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Is there any way of getting Instagram to list photos chronologically? My feed appears to have been organised by a monkey*.

*I’m sure this is an algorithm based around ‘interestingness’ or ‘popularityness’, but it’s bloody annoying when you see something then can’t find it again, or comment on a photo you think is recent only to find it’s a few days old.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Twitter, as a youngish chap, is beyond me. I think it’s for old people or people who are more into celebrities than I am.

I really like instagram. And, for the OP, I find it very easy to use. I get to look at interesting pictures of things I like (mountains, bikes, rally cars, trains, things my mates are up to). It’s very rare I see a selfie on mine, I don’t go looking for them.

STATO
    Free Member

Is there any way of getting Instagram to list photos chronologically? My feed appears to have been organised by a monkey*.

*I’m sure this is an algorithm based around ‘interestingness’ or ‘popularityness’, but it’s bloody annoying when you see something then can’t find it again, or comment on a photo you think is recent only to find it’s a few days old.

No, this is how it is now (changed last year). If you dont use it enough the things IG decides you might like to see are now old. If you follow a lot of stuff it can get messy, but then its like twitter in that respect because once you follow to much its pointless wishing for more organised feed, as its too much to actually track unless you use it 24/7.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Oh, and for those that’re interested I’m such a big deal I have two. One more “special interest” than the other.

https://www.instagram.com/lukeellisbradley/

https://www.instagram.com/scenic_pees/

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Luke, what’s your instagram account?

I used to be ringoffire, but it got hacked and that bastards wouldn’t believe I wasn’t a hacker/spambot, so had to start up Muck_sweat_n_beers instead.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Ah, I did wonder why ringoffire wasn’t yielding the masses of good bike posts I was hoping for!

As above, lukeellisbradley is mine. It’s not 100% bikes but I do try and put a good amount of bike photos up there.

fathomer

munrobiker – Just followed you, if you post pics like you do on here then it’ll be well worth it.

grum
    Free Member

I’m grumwynne on there.

https://www.instagram.com/grumwynne/

Been trying to up my game recently and post regularly. I use gramblr to post from a Mac, much easier IMO.

wallop

Off the top of my head, a couple of good profiles I like – Roam the Planet, Everyday Iceland, itsbigben, Yorkshire Gourmet, Nigel Slater, Mattias Frederiksson.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Instagram – why so difficult?’ is closed to new replies.