• This topic has 30 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Instagram Cover-up
  • surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

STORY HERE – It’s OK its from the BBC
    So they won’t show topless photos of women and Rhianna deletes here account…

Got me thinking of the ironing of it since everyperson on the planet has genitals why is it deemed so offensive to see them?

Not sure if womens breasts actually count as genitals but bare with me 😉 Particularily on something like Instagram where you have to sign up not like it’s in your face is it!

Junkyard
    Free Member

I am sure there will be many STW eager to support the ladies rights/quest to get there boobies out

However if you sign up to a site it has rules and you need to obey them

We cannot show them here and I cannot say i disagree with this rule.

I do agree – the naked rambler being a great example – that nudity per se is not sexual nor offensive.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I suspect that unless they can build an effective reporting/blocking system to stop kids getting access, it’s easier for them to just ban all of it.

I agree that it’s perfectly possible to have images of naked people without it being inappropriate or sexulised, but how often does it happen?

Given that the power of the “think of the children” brigade and how ‘anti’ they can be when it comes to this sort of thing I can’t see any big firms changing in the near future. Thrown in Apple’s strong stance on adult rated app’s and I don’t think we’ll be seeing nipples on Instagram any time soon.

taffy
    Free Member

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Northwind

Generation sex respects the rights of girls
    Who want to take their clothes off
    As long as we can all watch that’s okay

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Tuuune 🙂

flowerpower
    Free Member

Not sure if I’m allowed to post this… guess I’ll find out 😉

NSFW!

D0NK

However if you sign up to a site it has rules and you need to obey them

agreed but… freethenipple ladies appear to think instagram are oppressing them, sounded a bit daft at first but then I figured I could post a topless shot of myself (calm down ladies/gents) and it would be fine but if my mrs did it it would be against the rules which presumably you could then argue that it is a sexist ruling. Wouldn’t an across the board topless or no topless – I’m not fighting for the right for nipples everywhere – ruling be better? a sudden lack of male torsos in the media may also reduce my lack of sixpack angst – win win.

As a society we do seem to be overly fixated on women’s nipples.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Pretty sure that Instagram has a total male/female/other nudity/partial nudity/sexual content ban. They’re maybe just more strict about enforcing it with ladies nipples. If they’re gonna have rules they should be enforced across the board.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

GFS 😀 took me while to be “unoffended”, good work!

vinnyeh

As a society we do seem to be overly fixated on women’s nipples.

😯

Northwind

True enough though, we’ve fetishised normality, no wonder people are messed up.

almightydutch
    Free Member

Whoever dreamed all this up at Instagram HAS to me a man wanting to see MORE boobies. Even feminists are getting them out…surely this is a WIN!!!

franksinatra

I’m confused. Are we now offended by Page 3 in papers but encouraging the same on Instagram? Or are we offended by both, or neither?

I don’t know what to be offended by 😕

franksinatra

I figured I could post a topless shot of myself

Photos or it didn’t happen…

lemonysam
    Free Member

I’m confused. Are we now offended by Page 3 in papers but encouraging the same on Instagram? Or are we offended by both, or neither?

Instagram don’t allow sexual content and have placed a blanket ban on womens nipples as being sexual content. People have rightly pointed out that it’s a ridiculous assumption to make that any photo of a woman’s nipple is sexual content, especially on the personal account of the person to whom the nipple belongs.

Page three on the other hand uses purposefully sexualised photos of women to sell newspapers to men.

It’s perfectly possible to think both offensive if you actually think about it.

DezB
    Free Member

Page three on the other hand uses purposefully sexualised photos of women to sell newspapers to men

As far as I’m concerned, a woman with her tits out is sexualised.
    Instagram whatever, never seen it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I figured I could post a topless shot of myself
    Photos or it didn’t happen…

Trust me his wife looks much better 😉

franksinatra

I’m not surprised about Instagrams rules but am surprised about feminists using their nips to prove a point. Are these the same people who complain about objectifying women on page 3?

MSP

Are feminists showing their nipples? I thought it was just some celebrity wannabes making this into a storm in a d cup, for the attention.

franksinatra

storm in a d cup

very good.

I don’t think it is many doing this, certainly no more than a handful

D0NK

Hmmm. I guess (western) societies perception of nudity is the contents of pants for blokes but contents of bra and pants for women so instagram could claim societies rules are screwed not theirs.

Well put lemonysam

IANA Anthropolgist but different cultures seem to handle this in various ways. Some hot countries everyone is almost in the buff and (AFAIK) people don’t walk around continually turned on by all the naked flesh on show. Other hot countries everyone is covered up and a lady showing a bit of ankle is deemed a hussy – I note it mostly seems to be the ladies fault for not covering her modesty rather than blokes getting over excited about it all. I think there are a couple of countries who don’t allow blokes going topless but no idea if this is to keep their womenfolk’s passions from become enflamed or that they’re just worried about their eyes being inundated with the sight of flabby pale tourist flesh.

Don’t get me wrong I, erm, appreciate boobs, but when you think about it, it’s a bit of a weird thing to get excited about.

GrahamS

You may not post violent, nude, partially nude, discrimina….

Eh?? Surely everyone is “partially nude”? 😀

DezB
    Free Member

but when you think about it

If you’re thinking, you’re doing it wrong

D0NK

If you’re thinking, you’re doing it wrong

I’m sat at work, thinking is all I currently have 😥

Northwind

GrahamS – Member

Eh?? Surely everyone is “partially nude”?

I’m not, I’ve got 2 vests on

Don’t get me wrong I, erm, appreciate boobs, but when you think about it, it’s a bit of a weird thing to get excited about.

Amateur anthropologist mode here:

Mainly male scientists have defined our whole genus (or species or whatever it is) by the fact women have boobs.

Humans are the only primate where the female has permanently swollen mammary glands. There must be a reason for this – and its probably to attract blokes.

So don’t worry, it may be weird, but its hard wired into your head. 🙂

squirrelking
    Free Member

If you think womens nipples are sexual objects would you get a semi watching a woman breast feed?

Thought not.

It’s a stupid rule not least because boobs, whilst lovely, are only as sexual as the context in which they are displayed. Topless or even nude sunbathing, breastfeeding, medical photos and such are all valid reasons to allow the use of nude/ semi nude photos and that’s before you even get into the artsy minefield.

I think the bigger issue here is trying to dispel the notion that a womans body is this purely sexual thing and that any nudity in any context is sexualised. It’s the other end of the wedge from the suggestion that how a woman dresses should be a factor in the likelihood of her getting raped since it may be “suggestive” to some that she is “asking for it”.

franksinatra

Humans are the only primate where the female has permanently swollen mammary glands. There must be a reason for this – and its probably to attract blokes.

I love evolution. Well done

DezB
    Free Member

If you think womens nipples are sexual objects would you get a semi watching a woman breast feed?

No, cos the baby’s head is in the way 😆

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Instagram Cover-up’ is closed to new replies.