Viewing 29 posts - 281 through 309 (of 309 total)
  • inspired by shed threads, do you think its possible for…..
  • sadexpunk

update time plus questions on treatment now the warmer weathers coming……..

been up a few months now and had some high winds from time to time, the structures been fine and hasnt leaked. i was worried that with no battens on top the wind may pull the felt off, but that hasnt happened.
    we havent had any thick snow this winter so it hasnt had to deal with any weight, but ive got a spare 3X3 ‘supporting post’ that ive sawn to fit the middle of the roof. if and when it starts snowing heavily itll just be a case of sticking that under one of the beams. all looking good so far.

like i said tho, the warmer weathers coming now, my lads not got any work for a week or so, and i want to make him earn his keep by treating it 🙂

so, can i ask for recommendations for …..

1. the ‘external’ ply ceiling that isnt really weatherproof and needs treating with something. id say the roof beams would also need covering in the same stuff.

2. the shiplap walls.

3. the decking. non slip oil?

id like whatever i use to be clear, as i like the natural colour of it at the moment.

thanks.

EDIT: should also say, thanks to rwamartin (rich) on here thats helped me with my electrics. ive now got power to the gazebo, a double socket and a pair of these lights…..

and ive also started on a corner settee for it. found some free pallets on facebook that someone had attempted to make a unit out of but made a pigs ear of. i sawed it down, removed all the sh1t bits, and clad it with spare shiplap from the shed. cost me nowt so far, but the cushions will cost a couple of hundred or so as theyll have to be custom made.
    ill wait until ive treated the gazebo before moving it in.

sadexpunk

bumpity bump for answers to 1,2 and 3?

ta

Murray

I’ve used Sadolin base coat followed by top coat. They do clear varieties. The advantage of the base coat is that its absorbed by the wood.

squirrelking
    Free Member

On cushions – can you or anyone you know sew? Surely it’s just a case of knocking up some waterproof covers?

sadexpunk

murray, is that a recommendation for decking, ply, or shiplap?

On cushions – can you or anyone you know sew? Surely it’s just a case of knocking up some waterproof covers?

thatd be best wouldnt it, i usually know someone who knows something about everything, but sewing? naaah.
    got a price from a local lass but its £100 more than i can find online, so looking like £250ish online. its do-able at that price but you just think after building it all for nothing, itd be good to carry on the tightfistedness 🙂

timba
    Free Member

Somewhere like this (linky) for the foam? There’s a trader on our local market, your market might be worth a look too

You could try to wrap fabric around the foam and stick the overlaps with copydex/carpet adhesive
    </tightfistedness>

Murray

Recommendation for shiplap – would be fine for ply too. I think you need something stronger for decking.

sadexpunk

Somewhere like this (linky) for the foam?

thanks mate, just had a look, but i wouldnt really know what to do with it even if i could get some the right size….

You could try to wrap fabric around the foam and stick the overlaps with copydex/carpet adhesive
    </tightfistedness>

haha i like it, but i think id probably make it look really sh1t if i did that 😀

Recommendation for shiplap – would be fine for ply too. I think you need something stronger for decking.

thank you.

sadexpunk

update and next question please……

decking and whole structure actually is being done this week by my lad using 4 tins of clear liberon decking oil from screwfix. cheaper than the others, seems a decent brand and gets good reviews. bit of a gamble using decking oil for ply and shiplap too but im encouraged by the bumph which says it can be used on sheds too. thatll do then.

ive plumped for cushions to be made from a place online. i priced up materials separately from cheapo shops and it still came to not much less, so ive gone for the easy option. just over £200. fairly happy with that if it finishes it all off nicely and i havent made any measuring errors.

anyways, my next question regards shielding it from rain if we’re having a party/barbie and the weathers not kind to us. been thinking of different options but at the end of the day i dont really mind how it looks too much if its just for one or two emergencies per year. i thought a tarpaulin across front and side would do the job so experimented with a bit of tarp to see if itd do the job.

bought some hooks from screwfix and i can put them up at the same time as the tarp if and when we need, i wouldnt leave them in.
    anyways, as i thought this was the cheapest option, ive been pricing up ‘made to measure’ glass clear tarps.
    i want one that goes to floor level as itd go across the whole decked area, just leaving a walk-in gap between post and shed.
    yep, thats quite a big tarp, i make it 8m x 2.3m. over £100!! 😯
    same from a few different quotes.
    so, my question is, do i need an actual tarp, or is there something cheaper i can search for such as clear pvc or polythene or something, and maybe put eyelets in myself?
    like i said, doesnt need to be fancy, just something clear (for maximum light and hopefully still a view across the field rather than a dingy blue one say) and can be cheap material.

any ideas?

thanks

Saccades
    Free Member

Visqueen would do the job, i use if for my hen house and it lasts about 18onths before the wind tears it from the staples. Would last much longer for your use. 50m roll is £30 and about the right depth.

sadexpunk

thanks mate, ill go google some of that, never heard of it.

cheers

sadexpunk

been looking at it mate, seems i should be able to get a roll of 25m x 4m for around the price youve stated.
    cant find too much info on thickness, are they all the same, or do you get heavy duty for a bit more maybe?

and also would it lend itself well to maybe putting in eyelets myself if i bought an eyelet press, or would it rip easily?

never seen one of these before so dunno how effective or how strong the eyelets would be?

sadexpunk

bumpity bump for visqueen info?

Saccades
    Free Member

Eyelets would work well, much better than the staples i use.

I’ve never seen a thinner gauge visqueen, about a mm or 2 thick and tough as old boots.

The price i stated was from ages ago, checked the label thing and it’s a 25m roll i have. I have about a third left. The scaffold netting i have is 50m but only 1m high, got the lengths mixed up.

Saccades
    Free Member

The price i stated was from ages ago, checked the label thing and it’s a 25m roll i have. I have about a third left. The scaffold netting i have is 50m but only 1m high, got the lengths mixed up.

sadexpunk

excellent, ill get some ordered. thanks a lot for that.

sadexpunk

I’ve never seen a thinner gauge visqueen, about a mm or 2 thick and tough as old boots.

hmmmm……struggling find anything that thick actually, im looking at ‘heavy duty’ visqueen (2000g) which seems to be around 0.5mm thick. and even then, im struggling to find any the right size, it all seems to be real thin stuff at the 25m x 4m. if i do find thicker stuff it seems to be black :-/

it’s a 25m roll i have. I have about a third left.

so would that be around 8m and for sale? 😉

thanks

Saccades
    Free Member

I’ve checked, it’s about half a mm in thickness.

Postage from Ireland would be a killer i think as it weighs a lot. Plus my chickens would be exposed to the elements this winter.

It’s readily available from builders merchants in south Manchester, should be easy enough to get locally.

sadexpunk

no probs mate, ill ring round a few places tomorrow.
    ive seen this one on ebay for £35 in 8m x 4m which would do me for size, says heavy duty but its only 1000 gauge, ive seen some at 2000 gauge but cant find any in the size i want or clear.

ill spend a bit of time on it tomorrow, thanks again.

sadexpunk

just been reading through AlexSimons shed thread and reading about some of the same thoughts and options that i had during my build. it was interesting to read the discussion on guttering and water butts/soakaways etc. this is something i also looked at and plumped for the water butt with a pipe leading to my soakaway (in my case its the field just a foot or so from the butt.)
    somebody one alex’s thread suggested an IBC and using that for toilet flushes/ washing machine etc.
    i dont think the position of my shed lends itself easily to this in my case, but i thought id just ask the question anyway. do you think its a viable option for me to do this? its a decent sized roof so could potentially collect enough water, its just the logistics of getting it to where its needed…..

twas just a thought, id expect it to be a fleeting thought tho 🙂

thanks

EDIT: theres a couple of photos on page 4 that show its position relative to the house.

5thElefant
    Free Member

If financially viable comes into it have a look at how much water costs per cubic metre first (which is what an IBC holds).

sadexpunk

aye, i know waters relatively cheap anyway, was just wundrin if there was any mileage in just making a small difference.

been googling the last hour or so, cant see it being worthwhile really. i can source an IBC for nowt i think, and i was hoping there might have been a simple option involving a long pipe and a connection to a water tank or something, seems not.

thanks

nickjb
    Free Member

That’s the concesus from CAT iirc. They have guides to all sorts of eco things but rainwater harvesting does seem to be a bit of a waste of time unless it’s very simple

sadexpunk

please ignore, nothing to see here, phil556’s shed thread reminded me to just stick a comment in before the 12 month lockdown.
    you never know, i may need to ask further advice……

ElShalimo

Shed thread bumpers……

twistedpencil

Followed this first time round and hopefully in 2019 I might need to reference it so posting to find it again 🙂

sadexpunk

update for reference…..

the decking oil has done its job well, its going to be the sheds 3rd year this year, just starting to peel and look a little patchy on the front ledge/cladding where it gets the brunt of the sun/rain, so we’re going to coat it completely this year again.
    everywhere else looks spot on still, its tempting to leave that and just re-do the peely bits, but i think it makes sense to do the job properly.

used liberon decking oil all over first time round and it was a good call, its worked well. also used 4 tins, which comes out around £200 now.
    had a look on the DIY forums and barrettine clear all in one decking oil seems to be well recommended, and half the price, so going to go with that this year i think.
    https://www.toolstation.com/barrettine-all-in-one-decking-oil-treatment/p25816?bvstate=pg:2/ct:r

nickjb
    Free Member

You may find you need a lot less when reapplying as it won’t soak in as much.

sadexpunk

ok, im sure they wont run out of the stuff if i only buy a couple to start with, thanks.

Viewing 29 posts - 281 through 309 (of 309 total)

The topic ‘inspired by shed threads, do you think its possible for…..’ is closed to new replies.