Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Inspire me with some campervan European trip blogs
  • ElShalimo

As per the title. We’ve got an extended holiday later in the year and am looking for inspiration for a 6 week jolly around Europe. (Not bringing the bikes but we can hire as we travel around a bit).
    Actually I need to narrow down the choices as there’s so much to do.
    cheers

cookies

I did 8 months, Morocco to Asiatic Turkey… and later to the Arctic circle…

You could spend a lot of time driving and not seeing to much if don’t focus.

What do you like…

ElShalimo

We’re thinking southern Germany, Austria, Slovenia, maybe a little Croatia and the Dolomites, then come home via Annecy area. We’ve “only” got 6 weeks but we need mountains, nice food and decent beer.

stewartkombi
    Free Member

Take a bike rack and bikes. Then you can stay in nice places and just ride into town etc wherever you are. if you cant hire bikes then you’ll still have to drive everywhere and you’ll be sick of driving.

Check out Carinthia in Austria (Karnten). Beatuiful huge swimming lakes, water at 24C drinking water quality. Alps, best beer, great food (especially if you like sausage) and good climate

ElShalimo

stewartkombi

– I know what you mean but I’d be worried about them when we’re walking in the mountains, or doing via ferrata, or pottering about in towns etc. (Mind you I worry about them on campsites here 😯 )

alan-sierracycling
    Free Member

You know you´ll miss the biking! Why not buy a couple of cheap secondhand bikes for the holiday and sell them on when you get back.

burko73

I put my old clockwork on the back of our van when travelling about. Single speeded it and big brown schwalbe tyres means no fuss and great for getting to shops to get bread in the morning, cruising the promenades and finding out what’s about without moving the van.

I even got a decathlon basket to go on the front…

Thing is, I love it so much now that I’d prob be as gutted if it got nicked as my newer bikes. Prob not as easy to replace either.

ElShalimo

There’s no room in the shed for more bikes
    😥

ourmaninthenorth

Other than expressing massive jealousy (I want a camper to do just this), google Campervan Culture. Loads of vids including European stuff.

He’s a bit humourless, but otherwise enjoyable and he clearly loves his VWs.

white101

last year I read a brilliant ‘blog’ on T4 forum. A guy and his wife headed on some pretty decent 3 week tour of Europe, on further digging he had done it 3 years on the trot and had blogged them all on the forum. He was heavy on pics and info on campsites and routes and food photos and stories. Really good fun and inspiring.
    I will have a search in a mo and try to find a link to it.
    In the mean time, after 3 years of searching and waiting for the right van, 2 weeks ago I bought myself a beautiful T25 Westy. Just love it. All I need now is a tow bar rack and me and the bike are off…..

burko73

If you’re off to France get on amazon and buy “all the aires” – great concept, all towns and villages have a few overnight parking spots for campervans. The idea is you stay overnight but don’t put up awnings and outside tables etc but you end up spending some cash in the local economy in the bakers, bar, butchers etc.

Some have toilets nearby, some don’t and hence some suitable for campervans without toilets and some suitable more for motor homes with toilets inside.

We’ve stayed for free for in some amazing places right on the beach etc or in amazing harbours or towns by rivers etc. some charge a few euros to get in or a euro for a water fill up or battery charge.

Some of the campsites also offer and Aire pitch for vans overnight as well which is usually either €5 or €10 and cheaper than if you book on as a camper. Often the pitches are in quieter parts of the site.

lucien

@ burko73 – Member

Did 3 1/2 weeks last year, mainly in the Alps with bikes on the back of the van using Aires and spent less than 200 euro’s on camping / pitch fees – stayed in some amazing places. My experience is that theft is rarely an issue for bikes. I use good quality chain & locks, with a rack on the outside and then use a long cable lock that goes inside the van and is secured to chassis.

Oh, and going to do the same thing again this year and a about 10 days time…….

ElShalimo

Burko73 – thanks

Lucien – take lots of photos and update us all when you get back to make us all green with envy
    8)

andytherocketeer

If you’re off to France get on amazon and buy “all the aires” – great concept, all towns and villages have a few overnight parking spots for campervans.

For Germany, exactly the same, except it’s called Stellplatz or something, costs a tenner or so for a catalogue sized book.

edit: it’s Bord Atlas and a bit pricier.
    https://www.vicarious-shop.com/Aires-and-Stopovers/ probably somewhere cheaper than that.

Can find out since that’s what my parents just used for a trip round Benelux and Germany at an average cost of something like 11 euros per night for 6 weeks (some was aire/stellplatz, some was proper campsite). Find a hotel that serves breakfast at that price!

ElShalimo

andytherocketeer

– thanks

white101

Sorry couldnt find the link to the guys blog on the T4 forum but if you have a look on this site within the camping section there is loads of good stuff. Also check out the 80-90 club website this is about T25vans and the camping and travelling bits are great

andyxm
    Free Member

Did 8 weeks two years ago, absolutely loved it. We did holland, Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, sailed to Italy, France , Northern Spain and sailed back from there. That’s probably too much ground to comfortably cover in 6 weeks unless you enjoy the driving bit – we never travelled on consecutive days, and the longest drive in a day was 220 miles.

Of those I would strongly recommend going to the Basque Country, lovely scenery, beaches, food, drink etc….. And you. can sail back from Santander or Bilboa rather than trudge up through France. We could have done with more time in Austria too, we just passed through, but have been back twice since.

It was all great, stayed at a few aires, but tbh a lot of the campsites in Europe were good value anyway. We took bikes as they were great for getting around rather than driving the van all the time.

andyfla
    Free Member

Ok, its not for 3 weeks but a couple of mates just popped off to the continent for a year- all the details here

ElShalimo

keep ’em coming
    🙂

Edukator
    Free Member

Whilst I can understand the appeal of touring nice campsites, the idea of spending my holiday in camper van ghettos is one down from sleeping under bridges with the down and outs. A bit like spending your holiday on motorway service areas but without the clean toilets, newsagents, shops and cafeteria.

Camping à la ferme
    Chez Halsouet
    Maison Donamartia
    Départementale 3 Rte de Sare
    64310 Ste Pée S/Nivelle

9e a night for a couple if you’re in the Basque country. No personal connection, just my idea of a pleasant place to stay whether in a van or under canvas.

spooky_b329

Has anyone headed north and explored the Atlantic Ocean Road?

More expensive up there, but if you are campervanning, apparently it all evens out as the expensive food and fuel are offset by the abundance of wild camping opportunities.

ElShalimo

Monday bump

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Inspire me with some campervan European trip blogs’ is closed to new replies.