Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Inspire Me – Show me your 1×9 bikes
  • bigsi
    Free Member

What ratios are you guys running ?

I'm in the process of building a Swift and am thinking 32 tooth upfront but unsure what ratio to go on the back. 😕

Lets see em then 😀

pinches
    Free Member

i found a 32 too small, i could spin out far too easily, i have since got a 36T with a 34-11 cassette.

although, i eventually gave up with the 1×9 setup and fitted a tripple!

You will NEED a chain device to keep the chain on the front ring, even if its only a top guide.

ton

i am gonna be running 30 up front with a 12/34 cassette on my chumba 29r, which is gonna be my years experiment bike.

james
    Free Member

34T front (Was cheapest on SJS), 11-32T rear (what I had when 27spd):

As above (unramped chainring only) coped on smooth(ish) terrain (nothing rough)
    Have since added a 32T bash ring (it still guides/covers the chain) and have pressed a zefal style pump frame mount into service as a jump stop on the inside of the chainring
    Seems to work for the type of riding this bike gets used for, though has been used as a replacement bike when the main bike was out of order

geetee1972
    Free Member

I run a 32t front by 11-34 rear. I only ever spin out on fast road and fire road sections, at which point I really don't care about how fast I'm going as it's hardly exciting/challenging riding. On the tech stuff, 32t will be more than enough for most people.

Having said that, the guys I ride with swear they also spin out on a 32t and consequently ride a 34t or 36t, so Pinches is not alone in his assessment – each to their own I guess.

I've ridden around the Peak District, Wales and the Surrey Hills and never been under or over geared. You will need to learn how to spin the pedals though and yes, you will absolutely need some sort of chain device.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Bear in mind that a 29" rear wheel will give different gear ratios to a 26" wheel, so a 30t chain ring is not as small as it sounds.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

32t up front with a Blackspire Blackguard, E13 bash and Blaskspire stinger. Really quiet, reliable kit.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Scott how do you get on without a top guide? I tried the Blackspire Stinger and couldn't get the chain to stay on for love nor money.

pinches
    Free Member

i think it depends what you intend on riding with your 1×9. I was riding (and racing) xc on a 1×9 for a long time where you occasionally need to use the top end.

i still run 1×9 on my 4x bike, with a 36T and a 12-27 road cassette. this is fine with a larsen rear/high roller front, but previously i was running michelin DH16s on it and HAD to run a 32T. it was impossible to ride with a 36t up front

i would say for general trail riding, a 32T and 11-32 is fine

ton

geetee1972
    you speak sense mate………….

lyons
    Free Member

surely with 29 inch wheels, you will want a higher ratio?

bigsi
    Free Member

So what chain guides do you all/are you all going to be using ?

I'm thinking of using a front mech but only because its cheap, how well will this work normally. I normally ride southdowns, surry hills, swinley, wales trail centres etc, nothing too extreme or downhill. Will mounting a bashguard (e-13 is what i have in the shed) help at all ?

Ton – What made you stick with the Chumba, thought it was too harsh for you ?

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

geetee – I've never had a problem about the top guide (I do use an unramped chain ring though, so that could help). The only reason I got the stinger was because the chain was slipping very slightly on the roughest, rootiest sections of the aston hill DH runs.

It seems to be really tightly on there and never in any danger of coming off at all.

The blackguard limits the places for the chain to jump off to though:

pinches
    Free Member

well, 29" wheels have a 3" larger rolling radius, so no. you will be going faster for the same rpm as with 26s.

the keep the acceleration and top end the same you would need a smaller chainring

Rickos
    Free Member

I run a 32 with 11/32 but when it all wears out I'll swap to 34 and 11/34 just to get a bit more gearing for the faster sections. It'll do for now though.

pinches
    Free Member

anyone thought of trying one of these?

http://www.e13components.com/product_xcx.html

rs
    Free Member

really want to go 2×9 with a hammerthingy though.

househusband

Now has a BBG bash and N-Gear Jumpstop, but is a great, fun bike for local jaunts and easy trail centre rides:

slowrider
    Free Member

32t front with 11-32 rear. all good so far, the lg1+ works a treat, is super easy to set up and weighs less than 200g. comes with a bb mount so you dont need iscg tabs too.

doof_doof
    Free Member

Old pic, but you get the idea.

30t + 11/34

BBG bash & modified Blackspire blackguard

therealhoops
    Free Member

I have a 38t Middleburn DH ring and a fixed front mech. The chain has NEVER come off despite much abuse. I run a 11-34 on the back.

love it

geetee1972
    Free Member

Thanks Ton. Odd to get praise for your views on STW it's usually scorn you get!

Pinches love that Tracer. Awesome bike.

Bigsi you might get away with a front mech and a bash guard. I tried this on the Ellsworth andfoubd that it kept the chain on for about 85% of the time. But I am heavy and my riding style is quite aggressive so keeping the chain on is more of a problem for me than maybe lighter more finessed riders. Being heavy is also the reason I need a 32t front. Not that fit yo see.

I have an MRP 1×9 guide that I am going to try. It's like the new e13 top only guide. Also if you're thinking of using an older style e13 LG1 then i think the minimum size ring you can use with that is 36t. The new guides are compatible with 32t rings.

bigsi
    Free Member

cheers geetee, sounds like i'm going to have the same problems as you as i have the finesse of a hippo and the figure to match 😳

Anyone recomend me a decent, cheap chain guide that would fit a frame that has an EBB ?

slowrider
    Free Member

not sure how the ebb will affect it but the latest dirt (i think) has a superstar one that they think will do the job. you would need to pick up a bb mount though

geetee1972
    Free Member

The MRP 1×9 is only £40. You can get Blackspire Stingers for about £25 I think (Freeborn has one in stock – 01403 251 252) and if it doesn't work so well on the lower side of your drive train, you could try rotating it so that it sits over the top. Not 100% sure that that would work, but it;s worth looking in to.

pinches
    Free Member

Pinches love that Tracer. Awesome bike.

Cheers, but i should point out its a Tazer 😆

sc-xc

geetee1972
    Free Member

Arse Pinches (not literally, just an expletive), I knew i was going to get that wrong.

It's sort of like when you congratulate some one on their new baby and then mistake what is actually a baby boy for a baby girl.

bigsi
    Free Member

Barry what chain guide are you running ?

sc-xc

It's a Rohloff guide. LBS reckoned it was was the easiest solution (i.e. they had one in stock)

tbf it's been pretty faultless.

bigsi
    Free Member

Looks like the Pauls Components one. Was it expensive if you don't mind me asking ?

sc-xc

about £35, a couple of years ago.

bigsi
    Free Member

Ok ta, looks like the kind of thing I'm after 😀

pinches
    Free Member

a bit like the E13 XCX guide.

hilldodger
    Free Member

is the E13 XCX available yet, haven't seen it on sale anywhere….

bigsi
    Free Member

no i couldn't find it either 😕

pinches
    Free Member

Try Si Paton at Descent-gear, he has been selling the latest LG1s and stuff.

Or, MRP version here http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=40904

bigsi
    Free Member

Hmmm i like the look of the XCX and its not too expensive but also like the way the pauls components fits to the seat tube rather than the bottom bracket. The MRP one is a bit to gnarr looking for my XC jeyboy ways 🙄

How easy are the bottom bracket type ones to fit bearing in mind its an HTII bb ?

pinches
    Free Member

take one of the spacers off the drive side cup and just put the chain guide in its place, and tighten the the cup back up.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Inspire Me – Show me your 1×9 bikes’ is closed to new replies.