Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Inspire me…
  • ahsat

Lacking inspiration! Weather, a cold, ankle sprain and wedding planning stuff (getting bored of that – and I am the girl!) means I’ve only ridden once this year and that was just a 5 mile very snowy ride. As a result I know I am now unfit, have put weight on and as a result really lacking inspiration! I am struggling to get home early enough to go to the gym before I get hungry (I’m a junior academic, which demands long hours) and when I do I have wedding stuff to sort out!

I really need some inspiration to get me going. Anyone got any ideas of some new, high intensity excercise I can do to get me fit, so once the sun starts to shine I might actually have some fitness to ride my bike? I have gym and pool memembership, have lights (though really not a massive fan on night riding – particularly on my own or technical stuff), have a turbo and a gym ball!

I know some of this is just getting up and getting on with it. Compared to people with families and a busy job, I haven’t got anything to complain about. I really am not complaining – just lacking inspiration. What sort of routines do people do?

Inspire me….

(Cue the WTFU and get on with it!)

meehaja
    Free Member

I’m having swimming lessons while the weather is crap. I’m going now, its good to do something properly.

ton

cycle commute? then relax when you get home knowing t is all done.

and get out riding now…..cos ne day you wont be able to. 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Rorschach
    Free Member

Watching supercross eating bacon and drinking tea.Summer will be here eventually.

jeffm
    Free Member

Tabata on the turbo/gym bike. Short and very sharp and keeps your interest in cycling until your spare time increases and you can get back out more.

ahsat

cycle commute

Ton I try to do this a bit in the summer. Its 18 miles each way off road (or a very scary 16 miles on road) which I find a bit much there and back and dont like doing the railway lines in the dark on my own (pathetic womans comes out!). I did talk about driving to a mates house and riding with her which is 8 miles each way – maybe I need to look back into this!

sc-xc

I work out 5-6 every morning, then cycle to work which is only 9 miles each way… But means that when the family is awake/around I can spend my time with them. I love the hour of solitude in the morning (home gym), and manage to fit in a night of kickboxing every week without taking the piss.

As for something high intensity and fun, give the Insanity workout a try. Really hard, and enough variety to keep you interested.

ahsat

Going to have a look at Insanity and Tabata.

My gym has started opening at 0630 – with a bit more organisation I should give that a go – then it doesnt matter if I work late. sc-xc, this may seem stupid, but how do you plan breakfast into your morning? Its those pratical tips that might make the difference!

thegiantbiker
    Free Member

In terms of riding railway track at night, a nice bright helmet torch is good. Nothing to fear when you can see everything. Also, you can blind any potential attackers just by looking at them. However, the eye shine off animals in the bushes is ridiculously creepy at first.

sc-xc

I have a protein shake after the gym, made with milk with a dollop of peanut butter, a banana and a handful of oats mixed into it. Keeps me going until lunchtime.

richpips
    Free Member

Its 18 miles each way off road (or a very scary 16 miles on road) which I find a bit much there and back

I know a number of people who ride in, then train or car back.

The next day drive in, and ride back.

Requires a bit of planning for clothes maybe.

ahsat

Dont believe it – felt inspired to go the gym at 6.30 tomorrow and its shut! Emergency closure and doesnt say when its going to reopen!

Thanks for some of the ideas. Insanity workout is very funny. Not sure I can cope with over intense Americans for 40 mins though! Lol!

Also been looking at sufferfest (not so short in time, but could set up in the study). I dont have a cadence sensor though which looks like would be ness to do it properly.

fadda

How about joining in any LBS rides? My local one does two evening rides a month – if you have to book on, all the better as you’ll feel like you “have” to go…

ahsat

Dont believe it – felt inspired to go the gym at 6.30 tomorrow and its shut! Emergency closure and doesnt say when its going to reopen!

Just found out why from the local press – there was a stabbing in the gym resulting in a guy being airlifted to hospital! Oh joy!!

richpips
    Free Member

You don’t need cadence for sufferfest.

Perceived effort is good enough (or use a HRM if you have one).

Kryton57

Read this:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/lost-my-son-today

Appreciate how lucky you are, now go out and do a ride in honor of George and his family.

richpips
    Free Member

Appreciate how lucky you are

Get a grip eh? Sad as Lewis’s situation is. It has no bearing here.

scaredypants

Inspire me…

1) Your bum won’t look big in “that”
    2) The fitter you are, the less likely to be caught by a knife-wielding maniac in the changing rooms
    😉

tomhoward

I tell myself that riding in cack or cold weather counts double in the getting fit stakes. But it won’t be long before I get a turbo and hrm!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Get into running.

HermanShake
    Free Member

I find the hardest thing is initiating, once I’m doing something then I get quite into it. On the rollers I’m more motivated watching a riding video as I feel connected to the purpose/outcome. Getting out at this time of year will pay dividends when the dust comes back, recognise the effort when it’s made.

Maybe a performance or process goal would help? Something objective like a faster time in a race/segment, better cornering etc. Apply the old SMART process to it, having something to work for which you gain at the end can feel pretty good as long as it’s planned properly.

Don’t be too hard on yourself, it looks horrible outside. But when you’re out there it’s still fun, you just need to be prepared a bit differently. Sometimes a new bit of kit helps to get excited about riding, you can never have too many tyres or comfy things to wear when it’s fierce outside.

By the way, while you have a cold focus on a bit of recovery and figure out an indoor training routine (in the week I do rollers for 5 days with yoga before bed, plank pose exercises at the weekends as my easy days). Write it down and set it around your week ahead. A training diary can help keep track of what works so you can adapt/increase load/focus on specifics as needed.

I’d be erked by creepy train tracks in the dark, that plan to ride with your mate sounds like a great idea 🙂

Cheezpleez

Decide on a routine, write it down on a chart, tell people you’re going to do it, cross off each day or exercise session as you complete it and plan to buy yourself a nice new bit of bike jewellery if you stick to it.

ndthornton
    Free Member

I know a number of people who ride in, then train or car back.

The only thing with one way train is its almost the same price as a return – which I find really demotivating – Bloody British railways 🙁

So I’ve settled on a big effort once a week (round trip 45 miles) which is a good challange to keep it up through the winter but doesn’t get boring as your not doing it every day and have plenty of time to recover.

This also makes the clothing situation easier to manage and have 4 free evenings

righog
    Free Member

Something I do If I have not been out for a while is put out my riding clobber the night before and put it on first thing in the morning. Once it’s on, I sometimes mince around for a bit but I always end up going for a ride.

ahsat

1) Your bum won’t look big in “that”
    2) The fitter you are, the less likely to be caught by a knife-wielding maniac in the changing rooms

This made me laugh a lot

Get into running.

Thanks cynic_al. Afraid after good job busting my knee two years ago, it cant substain running! I just end up in a heap limping round the house!

However, there are some really good ideas here. I like the plan of writing things down to plan the week. I am quite an organised person so this appeals! I am going to try a training video (prob a sufferfest) tonight [could be very funny if the vicar chooses to call round right in the middle of it to pick the wedding band form up!].

I find the hardest thing is initiating

Very true Hermen Shake. I know that once I break the trend of not doing excersise it does get easier.

plan to buy yourself a nice new bit of bike jewellery if you stick to it

**goes back to look at the cotic website – AGAIN! Shiny….**

🙂

ahsat

Thanks all – inspiration gained and on some road forward! Revolver sufferfest done! I feel sick….!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Inspire me…’ is closed to new replies.