Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Inspire me
  • mildred

Last year I hit 40 yrs old. I promised myself a new bike, which would be a keeper. I sold my Nic’ Helius ST as it was too much bike for the riding i currently do (which changed dramatically at the birth of my 2 kids). I bought a new 5 but it didn’t inspire me like my old one did so I’m now in market for a new do-it-all frame. I already have a Yeti 7 which i just can’t get excited over (I’ve no idea why), so what else is there? Here is my list of desirable traits for the new one:

Slack head angle (around 66 degree, or even slacker)
    Low bottom bracket
    Low standover height
    Ability to run coil or air shock
    Tough with good warranty
    Maxle rear end preferably, but would also go for standard 135x12mm bolt through
    Tapered or 1.5″ head tube (I’m gonna be using already owned forks)

Its to be built up lightweight trail (i.e. less than 30lb), but with a heavyweight setup in reserve for annual Alps trip.

I’m a big fan of Nicolais but they’re not getting cheaper and I’m not getting richer, so what else is there? Go on inspire me!!

ashfanman
    Free Member

Banshee/Mythic Spitfire?

mildred

Any Spitfire owners out there – how tough are they? will they take a 160mm fork (lyric)? any pics?

Bregante

I’m liking the spitfire too (also would be putting lyriks – uturns on it) think Paulrockliffe on here has one but not seen a review from him of it?

From reading the mtbr reviews, many don’t like the steep seat angle, describing it as sitting “on” not “in” the bike. I belive it’s very stiff though.

vondally
    Free Member

brother had a titus supermoto, which i rode a lot, great bike but heavy and poor paint work but the el gaupo looks a deal or turner rfx new one or a 5 spot, Brother very impressed with flux dw, chumba evo looks intresting.

mildred

Funnily enough I’ve had a supermoto and agree entirely with comments. This was the 1st 4-bar bike i actually liked (and inspired me to try others), but the paint was shocking – it seemed to leap off at the 1st sign of mud. My first ride on it was around dalby in the rain and when I got back its head tube was raw under the cables.

mr_mills
    Free Member

I’ve got a Spitfire and they’re ace but it doesn’t meet some of the criteria on your list e.g. I don’t think you can get the HA to <66 even with 160s, its designed for an air shock only and the rear dropouts are normal 10mm ones.

Get one anyway!! 🙂

Northwind

Cotic Hemlock ticks a lot of your boxes but not all- no maxle rear end (doesn’t need it, it’s already very stiff) and I don’t think it has the clearance for a coil shock (again doesn’t need it, comes with an RP23, no need for anything else). I’m very biased, I love mine to bits. Warranty support was flawless, less than 4 days for a new chainstay despite the fact I don’t actually have a warranty, and told them so! Fab.

vondally
    Free Member

lol indeed BUT POSSIBLY the best climbing bike i have ridden bar possibly my maverick ml8……..can i ask what is not good with the yeti 7?

Ed-O
    Free Member

It’s not about the bike is it? All those bikes are great, I think you need to go somewhere fun and get into riding…..riding any bike. Always a challenge with kids isn’t it?

mildred

Oddly, there’s nothing ‘no good’ about the Yeti. I really wanted to like it and have done a bit of soul searching over what i don’t like. I still don’t really know but I think its a combination of sizing and geometry. I couldnt get to try one before buying (I know, I know…) so trusted to the yeti website over sizing and got a medium. I’m 5’11” and it feels too big, and not that chcukable to me. Having said that, I tend to ride smaller frames anyway, so maybe its just a personal preference type thingy.

Its for sale if you want it 🙂

I’m not unmotivated to ride – I get to ride every day (though they are shorter at the moment thanks to kids), I get to go on trips abroad with the bike (mainly Alps), I travel to trail centres around the country, and have a good bunch of mates to ride with when I want. its just that I want a new bike that will bring back those moments of standing at the bike and staring and salivating, and not being able to wait to ride.

Bregante

Mildred. How much you after?

mildred

Probably around the £600 mark.

dale
    Free Member
    bassspine
    Free Member

how about something versatile?

glynP
    Free Member

Froggy?

wilsonthecat
    Free Member

Turner 5 spot 😉

Bregante

you could probably do worse than this

I’d have it if it was a large

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-nice-headset-morewood-5-frame-and-more

mildred

Just don’t like Morewood – a Shova is the only bike I’ve ever seen with its head tube ripped off at the Mega. Besides which, what would be more inspiring about a 2nd hand ‘Orange-a-like’, than the spanking new 2011 Five I sold?

Having said that, I do like the ideas behind the Deubel 2UP.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Inspire me’ is closed to new replies.