Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Inspiration needed, show me your 700 wheel sized commuter. With disk brakes.
  • juan
    Free Member

As per title, inspire me, a pic an a few word about how it rides.

billytinkle
    Free Member

Jamis Nova Sport. Cheap and stiff. Fast, but I miss my MTB for commuting.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Salsa Vaya.

700cc???
    Discs? ??

a few word about how it rides.

Only one needed.

Lovely.

acidchunks

I went for the off the peg option.

2012 Spesh Crosstrail sport disc for £500
    I swapped the pedals for dmr V8s and the tyres for schwalbe land cruisers.

Rides a lot like an mtb, feels very stable and can be thrown around when necessary.

Wheels aren’t exactly tough but they don’t need to be. The bike as a whole is rather heavy but after stripping it down I discovered that’s mostly down to the poor quality suntour fork…quite tempted by a upgrade but waiting til the current fork dies. The discs were a must have for me and I’ve been very happy with the tektro dracos that came fitted.

stock image:

j40aja
    Free Member

Charge Zester, I’ve only had the chance to get out on it once but all seems good so far.
    Only things added/changed so far are SKS Chromoplastic guards and a set of Niterider lights.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve changed the brakes to TRP HyRd’s since this picture was taken.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

DSC_0134 by ir_bandito, on Flickr

On One ti ‘cross.
    Rides just as well on a 1400km audax as it does on a 2km commute. 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Hers

his

Two more different bikes you couldnt get – roadrats flexy like a banana(in a comfy way although it doesnt like being loaded heavy and standing) and the genisis is stiff as hell.

both weigh about 30lbs both are utilitarian in that they have done 5000km each without much more than a dicht with the hose.

clubber
    Free Member

Chinese carbon. It’s great 🙂

juan
    Free Member

Cheers everyone, keep them coming

cr500dom
    Free Member

billytinkle –
    Jamis Nova Sport. Cheap and stiff. Fast, but I miss my MTB for commuting.

Are they Velo Orange guards on that ?
    If not what are they ?

Saccades
    Free Member

Alfine’d Pompino mk1 with alfine hydro brake.

Set up for everything (inc towing the kids) and does everything well.

15mile each way commute.
    Towing kids around the local woods.
    Popping down to the pub.
    Wicklow 200.

Have changed the Pave tyres for some more commuter based ones after glass in the pub shredded the rear tyre.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Allo Juan,

No ‘own’ photos of ours yet (mine still hasn’t arrived either 👿 ) but I am getting this billboard for canondale bike:

and if you want smaller and pinker to match your gloves, Millie has been raving about this (and ignored her road and mountain bikes altogether) since she got it:
    -much more upright than a road bike but still rides fast enough, nice spec, fully mudgard/rack-able and has lovely tiagra-equivalent shorter reach sti’s and road bb7’s.

But I would definitely look at a Salsa Vaya. Some bike shop or other on ebay is selling a complete build brand new one in orange for £800, 56 cm iirc. put a shorter stem on that and it would be just the job for you. 😀

jonba
    Free Member

https://scontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/539727_10100642884371973_224265911_n.jpg

Reassuringly solid. Armoured tyres, steel frame and fork, 29er wheels.

Good for hitting potholes in traffic, stopping fast, turning fast and even riding down the steps out side the Baltic Art Gallery when they close the bike path.

Ben_H

I ride a Cotic X:

It’s a mix of 105 go, Avid BB5 stop and XT / TN719 / Conti GP 4 Season tyres. It’s been great for me over the last 2 years, although when I replace it I will get a frame with proper rack mounts. (There are lower mounts on the X, but they are miniscule and I haven’t been able to find a way to fit any lower-mounted rack with the BB5 calliper).

julianwilson
    Free Member

Ben_H, topeak do a disc rack for 29ers which has l-shaped bits at the bottom that clear most disc brakes: am looking at this for the caadx (if it ever turns up at the shop!), and salsa do lovely seatclamps with top rack mounts welded on the back. M-part/madison do too but not sure of the range of sizes.
    rack
    Salsa rack-lock

trail_rat
    Free Member

same bike showing how i mounted the rack – that set up was good for our tour from north of shetland back to aberdeen and 2 years of commuting so far – i used the same rack in a similar set up when we toured NZ

as long as you space both sides out by equal ammounts all is good in the world.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

Prince Albert 720 with 700c wheels and disc hubs

rides like an MTB with road wheels. Not as fast as my road bikes due to lower gearing and higher riding position but it does the job when required.

It also got my youngest up the Col de la Madeleine in July (as well as Alpe d’Huez and La Semnoz)

Ben_H

Ben_H, topeak do a disc rack for 29ers which has l-shaped bits at the bottom that clear most disc brakes: am looking at this for the caadx (if it ever turns up at the shop!), and salsa do lovely seatclamps with top rack mounts welded on the back.

Thanks julianwilson.

I tried the Topeak rack – it fits fine on the drive side, but fouls the brake side because the mount is placed so close to the dropout cowl (which protrudes and prevents the square end of the Topeak mount getting close enough to the mount). I’ve also tried a QR-axle adapter from Tubus and had the same problem!

The more I think about it, perhaps I’m wrong in my interpretation of them being lower rack mounts (maybe they’re just mudguard mounts).

billytinkle
    Free Member

cr500dom –
    Are they Velo Orange guards on that ?
    If not what are they ?

They are indeed. I really didn’t rate the SKS Longboards I had before these – the internal stay mounts let water build up like a dam.

Nothing’s perfect though, I much prefer the VO guards (these are the stainless steel version), but I find it really could do with an additional strut on the front due to the front projection – however it’s really only noticable on very rough roads so I can put up with it.

cr500dom
    Free Member

Thanks, they do look good.
    I`m thinking of the same for my MinUte cargo bike, front projection hopefully wont be a problem on that as I want to find a nice Porteur type rack for the front.
    I`ll then mount the guard direct to that.

Jamie
    Free Member

@julianwilson

What make is the bike in the first pic you posted? As I can’t make out the logo.

julianwilson
    Free Member

@jamie, they are pretty hideous, non? Whole caadx range is similarly loud, like someone built up a generic/random framed bike and wanted everyone to think it was actually a cannondale by sticking REALLY HUGE LOGOS all over it. Is this so people can still see what it is when you are covered in mud at the end of a race? More i think about it, the more i think i might colour in the letters a slightly lighter shade of bleu or maybe black, and clear/heli tape over the lot…

Daffy

Jamie
    Free Member

@jamie, they are pretty hideous, non? Whole caadx range is similarly loud, like someone built up a generic/random framed bike and wanted everyone to think it was actually a cannondale by sticking REALLY HUGE LOGOS all over it. Is this so people can still see what it is when you are covered in mud at the end of a race? More i think about it, the more i think i might colour in the letters a slightly lighter shade of bleu or maybe black, and clear/heli tape over the lot…

Ah, so it’s a Cannondale. Weird they don’t let people know that.

….I was looking at the CAAAAADX, and as well as it not being in stock, I was a little put off by the billboardyness of it.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Mikkel
    Free Member

Kinesis pro 6

IMG_2602 by msh_sco, on Flickr

rOcKeTdOg

marvincooper

Loving my Kaffenback – discs and 28c tyres are brilliant on my commute which is miles and miles of bumpy narrow lanes. Much better than my old Spesh Secteur.

It is quite heavy but I don’t care. I’ve now fitted SKS longs and a Carradice SQR Slim bag, both of which are superb.

steezysix
    Free Member

I don’t have a good picture of mine, but I got a Norco Indie Drop and it’s ace. Great for commuting and touring, also stuck CX tyres on a couple of times for singletrack rides.

nickwatson
    Free Member

Discs yes, 700cc wheels, almost (well it could take 700cc tyres at a push) …

17 miles a day commute, 25% road, 75% cheeky woodland trails.

Nick

marvincooper

^^^ very nice, that ^^^

nickwatson
    Free Member

Thanks!

drlex
    Free Member

Hub Dynamo & Alfine 11 make for Winter ease:

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Kinesis Tripster ATR. Commuter | Tourer | Trainer | Racer | Explorer | Bicycle

Absolutely bloody love it.

ton

my do it all bike

Stranger
    Free Member

Trek Crossrip Elite
    It’s a lot of fun

nedrapier

ton

nedrapier………..I now feel bike envy. 😀

snotrag

Dr Dew by simonholehan, on Flickr

Good fun bike.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Inspiration needed, show me your 700 wheel sized commuter. With disk brakes.’ is closed to new replies.