Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Inspiration for a new walking/commute jacket – Montane any good.
  • breatheeasy
    Free Member

I’ve got a new job, a couple of miles walk from home, so will probably be walking there and back mostly (probably a touch close to cycle and faff about getting changed etc. at either end, though will do it no doubt sometimes).

So I’m after a waterproof jacket – looking around they all seem to be quite high at the waist – i.e. don’t go down past yer backside. Or the complete opposite and down to the floor in a dity old man raincoat stylee.

Only one I’ve really seen thats caught the eye is a Montane Grand Tour one which is a bit longer than usual.

Anything else similar I’m missing?

Not particularly wanting to spend £180 but there are on sale for nearer £100 at moment online so its tempting. Not had any Montane (or Pertex) products ebfore but seem to have a decent reputation.

Oh, just really need a shell to – got heavier jackets for full winter use – just really need it for our ‘Summer’ weather.

footflaps

Good time to buy outdoor gear as they’re all changing over from 2016 to 2017 ranges, so lots of bargains to be had….

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I bought one of these last year http://www.sherpaadventuregear.co.uk/mens-c1/thame-stretch-jacket-tista-river-p439

Have barely used it since I’m not much of a wannabe “outdoorsman”

It’s deffo waterproof though. Only worn it on the bike once and it was pretty good. Only touring so an easy pace and not sweating, so not sure how breathable it is, but the fit is good; long sleeves (and I have long arms!)

HTH

benp1

For a longer rainjacket, and in particular if its for commuting and you’re not going to do massive high energy stuff, try looking at the Berghaus Cornice. Nicely long

Also, try avoiding alpine style jacket as they’ll be shorter so you can use harnesses

Wax jackets etc are often longer, few options from Paramo too

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

As per Footflaps, lots of deals on.

Check out Berghaus direct. Some decent reductions:

http://www.berghaus.com/mens-jackets/mens-waterproof-jackets

…although probably cheaper elsewhere, as Millets/Blacks doing 10% off vouchers.

All that said, Montane make decent stuff, and if you can find it for £100 then why not. My only concern is it might be a bit lightweight, seeing as it appears to be packable, and you might prefer something a bit more substantial material-wise.

footflaps

Worth also looking on SportsPursuit, everything is about 1/2 price on there permanently….

duckman

Blacks do montane kit at a good price and are often on the voucher sites in top of that. I am a label tart and reach for my montane belay before my arcteryx one now.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

My only concern is it might be a bit lightweight, seeing as it appears to be packable, and you might prefer something a bit more substantial material-wise.

Yeah, trying to get my head around whether I ‘need’ something I can just hide in the rucksack for emergencies or something I’m happy slinging on everyday.

That Berghaus Cornice one looks interesting – good spot benp1

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

That Berghaus Cornice one looks interesting – good spot benp1

The v3 version is on Amazon for £110-£120

Depending on your size, you could get the v2 version in small for £70.

Or just use Millets who have it for £135, but with 10% off using code 10AUG.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

some bargains on Montane jackets at needle sport, can be bought online

benp1

I have a cornice, was my first walking jacket for country type walks. Then my kit addiction kicked in, I reckon I have about a dozen waterproof jackets, plus softshells, insulated jackets etc !

crikey
    Free Member

Buy an umbrella, save yourself £100.

matt_outandabout

Montane are easily as well built and cut as some uber posh brands such as Norona and Patagonia, and a step up from usual suspects of Berghaus, Haglofs etc, in my experience.
    We ran it as staff uniform for a few seasons, plus I and all staff had shed loads of personal gear.
    I’m disappointed that I’ve just ordered Berghaus gear for the staff at new place, as Montane wouldn’t give us account without large first order and not making a size big enough for one of our staff.

The Berghaus gear is OK, but already I can see seams a bit wonky or stitching not quite tight.

footflaps
    damomcg
    Free Member

I bought a Rab Xiom jacket from Cotswolds a few weeks ago.
    [/url]
    It has a slightly longer back and long sleeves also. It seems very breathable and quite good for on the bike.

paul4stones

I’ve a brilliant Montane jacket that I got for £50 from the factory shop although I think they sell for about £180 normally. If it’s the same as that one you’re looking at then I’d rate it highly. I’ve got some other Montane stuff that I really like too.

Also there was a shop in Ambleside (opposite Blacks) last week had some of those Sherpa jackets for £60. Apparently they’re ethical too. 🙂

Edit: it was this place http://www.theepicentre.co.uk/mens-clothing-c116/hard-shell-c144

Drac

Montane are having a stock clearence at their outlet this weekend, I’m passing tomorrow so calling in as their stuff is great.

footflaps

The Epi Centre is a good shop, but their sale prices aren’t very competitive, most other stores have bigger discounts.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

30 quid army surplus mvp from ebay? Careful with the sizing though they come up very large.

richmars

Just had a few days in Iceland and many shops selling Icewear stuff.Looked ok, and son has just got this:
    Icewear jacket

sb88
    Free Member

Marmot Precip seems a popular and relatively affordable choice.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Just got an email from Millets. Plus their 10% off, makes it a good deal off the £200 RRP.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Inspiration for a new walking/commute jacket – Montane any good.’ is closed to new replies.