Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Insomnia
  • Susie
    Free Member

Anyone suffering/suffered from this? How long did you go without sleep for?

I was prescribed a short course of steroids (Prednisolone) for asthma, started a week last Thursday, finished Wednesday. One of the side effects listed is insomnia and I’ve probably had one night’s worth of sleep since Monday. Didn’t sleep at all Wednesday night, Thurs, not more than 3 hours and last night I fell asleep once for < 1 hour and woke up feeling confused and sick. I can’t concentrate when up and just want to go back to bed, but as soon as I lie down, my heart feels like it’s pounding. I spoke to the doctor yesterday, he said I should be back to normal by the end of the weekend and to not sleep in the day, read, glass of warm milk etc.

Thought as the steriod got out of my system, I would gradually get back to normal and expected to get some sleep last night. Now I’m wondering if I’m just so stressed about the lack of sleep, this is what is stopping me sleeping, rather than the drug.

Been wondering whether to go to the walk in centre as it’s getting to me so much, but not sure that it’s something I should bother them about, probably best for me to see what I can pick up from Boots to help.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

I have been suffering for the last week and suffered and from it before.

I have the same thing feeling of heart pounding etc. I was told that it is anxiety which is why you feel your heart is pounding.

I would try and get some sleeping tabs from the docs, they are not as addictive as everyone makes out as that was my concern and they will help you to get back into your sleeping pattern.

scaled
    Free Member

Just go to the docs and tell them about it, they’ll probably give you a couple of Valium to send you off and break the cycle.

vickypea
    Free Member

I have suffered from insomnia a lot in the past, caused by anxiety. I’ve also had short term insomnia caused by medication. I’ve always found that when it’s caused by medication there’s little I can do other than sit it out,and remind myself that it will pass, and try not to get worked up about it.
    If the only insomnia you’ve ever experienced is this episode caused by prednisolone, chances are, it’ll pass soon- perhaps the drug hasn’t been totally eliminated from your system yet?
    If you’re naturally an anxious person, maybe try ‘sleep hygiene’- things like exercise, avoiding caffeine,etc.
    If it’s really severe, I’d go back to my GP.

Susie
    Free Member

I was hoping they’d give me some sleeping tabs when I rang yesterday. I’ll probably give the walk in centre a miss and ring the doc Monday if no better.

I’ve just been speaking to a colleague on Facebook. She suffered all through her pregnancy from the 13th week and she’s still here, so that’s reassuring.

I’ll try a bike ride, see if that helps.

Susie
    Free Member

Vicky, I have struggled with sleep all my life, I never sleep right through until morning, but never had nights where I’ve had no sleep at all. I drink decaf, other than the odd Costa, which i’ve been avoiding. I am a bit of a worrier though.

vickypea
    Free Member

I see – so if you’ve always struggled with sleep, maybe you’re anxious that it’s the prednisolone, rather than it still really being the prednisolone.
    I had terrible insomnia for years, but it improved a lot when I met my partner 2 years ago. I don’t know whether it’s his influence or the fact that I stopped getting so stressed about my job!
    I hope you get it sorted out, insomnia is horrible!!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Insomnia’ is closed to new replies.