• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Spud.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Insight into band 8a/b nhs interview questions?
  • alansd1980

Has anyone been part of a panel for band 8/head of department scientific roles?

I am particularly interested in the type of questions relating to management and finance that I won’t have encountered at lower grade interviews.

expect I will have general how would you deal with this situation, long term goals and long term plans for the department. Future advances in the field and how this translates to a diagnostic lab etc but I am wanting to avoid the curve ball question I haven’t even thought of that will make me look like a dick.

I have been strongly encouraged to apply but would like to make the decision easy by giving a good interview and avoid relying on the fact they know me.

RicB

Drop me an email- addy in profile

alansd1980

Ricb1234

Ygm!

Thanks

rOcKeTdOg

If it’s anything like our lab I’d avoid it like the plague & stay where you are for your sanity & stress levels.

Spud

I’ve never found ours too fearsome either as interviewee or interviewer. Perhaps I’m doing it wrong. We’ve moved over to Civil Service now, but most of us are still on AfC. I’ve never been asked a finance question and wouldn’t as I’d expect candidates to have demonstrated that in their application, especially if internal as you should know the system. I would expect management questions, around team, difficult situations etc. Also about the big picture, what does it mean to manage a service, taking the step back from the operational stuff. On a slightly negative note a lot of NHS services are removing layers of management in the 8s and 9 grades, there is a general move to have an ideal of 5 layers between you and CEO level post. All the best with it. Might be worth review the AfC handbook for the competencies for the grade you’re applying for and thinking how you would support stating you meet them with good examples. Hope that helps.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Insight into band 8a/b nhs interview questions?’ is closed to new replies.