Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Inside a carbon seat tube, is this normal!?
  • Toasty

I’ve always battled a bit to keep my Propel seatpost creak free. I’ve only had the bike a few months, but it’s been cleaned and new carbon paste reapplied every almost every ride.

Today I took the post out and peeped inside to make sure there were no cracks. It seems ok but the finish in there is rubbish! One side is totally fine, the other side is covered in gouges. That bit of carbon you can see at the front, there’s a sharp edge to it, so I’m guessing it’s not supported all the way around. It doesn’t even look like the carbon was laid flat when resin was applied.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pkz6eo3GSBeyrZaG2
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/5TOOyWjj24karWyV2

rOcKeTdOg

pretty much, we’ve had 2k frames with the inflation bag left inside and others with a very rough surface inside etc

andrewh
    Free Member

My Yeti ASR-carbon still has the inflation bag in it. Seen some very rough looking inside of frames. Oddly enough enough carbon bars usually seem fine inside, no idea why.

Toasty

Cheers both, good to hear I guess. I still find it a bit shocking, I thought we were past this stage.

jameso

I thought we were past this stage.

Should be. Frames can be made around a foam core to get a better finish and consistent structure inside, lower weight etc but it’s a pricier way to do it. Still, pay 2k,I’d expect it these days. Leaving bags inside is poor QC. It might not be possible to get it all out every time but good manufacturing methods should cope with that.

cyclistm
    Free Member

This video gives an interesting* insight into the inside of a carbon frame.

*Disclosure: I have only watched the first few minutes so the rest may not be interesting.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Inside a carbon seat tube, is this normal!?’ is closed to new replies.